Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Would YOU Have Turned it In?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

Amazing Guy Returns Down Payment to Woman Who Lost It

by Kiri Blakeley

Brian DiCarlo found an envelope with $2000 cash and a $38,000 cashier's check in a mall parking lot. Brian, only 23, is at the age where most people would think, "I've been praying to the Lord to give me some money and here it is! Thank you, sweet Jesus!" So it's a bit surprising that Brian didn't run off with the cash and have the greatest kegger of all time -- he turned the money into police.

The police were able to track down the owner, Sharon Davis, and good thing too since the cash was for her new house. Which, you know, she wouldn't have right now if it wasn't for Brian DiCarlo! I hope he gets an invite to the house warming party.

Sharon was so grateful that her money was returned that she offered Brian a $300 reward -- but he turned it down! What is up with this guy? Is he made of money? Is he just, like, a freaking good guy? What?

Brian says that he just did what he hopes that someone would do if he were in the same position.

Ehhh, one of those freaky integrity types!

Seriously, all, this is amazing. There are good people in the world, thank goodness, because sometimes you forget about that.

I have a little bit in common with Brian. I have a tendency to find money too. Not as much as he found, but I often find money on the street, or in cabs, or in public places. I don't know if it's because I'm usually looking down or what. Normally it's a bill or two. Sometimes a fiver. Occasionally I get a $20. I once found a $100 in the airport.

And there was the time that I was on a subway platform and a man walked by me literally spilling money out of his pockets. Just streaming money. I opened my mouth and thought, "Do I say something? Do I grab the money? It's probably drug money, right?"

I yelled, "Sir! Look!"

He turned around, saw he was leaking money, and quickly ran and snatched it all up. (Don't think he even thanked me.)

But I still wonder if I should have said anything. After reading this story, I realize that if I ever find as much money as this guy, I've got to speak up. Because this could be someone's downpayment for a house! Brian, you've made me a better woman.

What would you have done?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM

yes i would turn it in.  it is not mine.  the person who lost it needs it.  there is no dilemma there for me.  i would want it returned if it was mine.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM

If it was just cash - even up to a $100 bill - if I didn't see who might have dropped it I don't think I'd go to great lengths to find the owner.  However,  if I found an envelope with the $3000 - sure, I'd be tempted to keep it but would more than likely turn it over to police.  Isn't there some "rule" that if no one comes to claim the $$ for a certain length of time, you get it? 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I would definitely try to find who it belonged to.  I couldn't just keep it and feel ok about it.  I mean, it's not like looking down and seeing a 20.00 bill.  lol  Kudos to him!!!!  I LOVE hearing some good stories for a change.  :)

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Im sure I would of dont the same. Hoping what comes around goes around.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM

No ifs, ands, or buts about it, I would have turned it over to police.  My conscience wouldn't have let me keep it.

mrs.Emm1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I would definitely turn in the money. I would not want to be responsible for the pain that it would cause someone to lose such a large amount of cash. Also,  I like to pray & you can't do it with dirty hands.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I would have been tempted to keep it but would have turned it in. the guilt from keeping it would have ate at me.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Turn it in of course ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)