Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you say?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:33 PM
  • 19 Replies

What would you say to friends or family that do not agree with your child life style?

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by Amber on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Its really none of their business how my child is and if they dont like it remove themselves from our life.  

SpiritFortress
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I would tell them to mind their own business. I would tell them that I think if people thought back to their own behaviors at different ages they would see, if they were honest, that not everyone would have approved of the choices they made either. 

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I would tell them that they should live their life as they see fit and let my child live his/her life as they see fit.  

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It would depend on who and how it was said. Are they expressing genuine concern? Have they been involved in my child's life? Is there a need for the concern? Are they just being busybodies with no real need for concern? Do they prattle on and on about it? 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM
3 moms liked this

It would depend on the child's lifestyle.  So long as the child is not harming themselves or anyone else and assuming the child is an adult, my reply would be to them that this is my child, I am the mother and I support my child, and I acknowledge the fact you don't agree with my child's lifestyle, and then end the discussion.  I think after this, if you try to defend anything, you're just going to open yourself up to drama.

redneck_kids
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

He's an adult not none of my business or yours.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Mostly I would tell them thanks for their concern but it's none of their business.

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I agree a lot would depend. I have seen some kids with parents I get a long well with and the child/adult child, was on a self destructive course. I was concerned & discussed it. So I guess a lot depends on below.

Quoting LEK19:

It would depend on who and how it was said. Are they expressing genuine concern? Have they been involved in my child's life? Is there a need for the concern? Are they just being busybodies with no real need for concern? Do they prattle on and on about it? 

Michelle, Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

This .. it isn't their business anyways :)

Quoting mac1940:

I would tell them that they should live their life as they see fit and let my child live his/her life as they see fit.  

Mariagma3
Praying this transfer goes through without problems. IL, we're headed home!
Today at 1:06 AM
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I have one son who is in prison right now, until August or so. So, unfortunately, I've dealt with this crap. Basically, I tell them he made his own choices, and to please keep their opinions to themselves. Of course, it works "so well!" You just have to be strong enough to stand up to family and people who have mean, hurtful or mouthy things to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)