Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

QOTD- 01/28/14- When you were in school, did you walk/ride a bus/or did your parents drive you?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 28 Replies

With all this extreme cold here in the north, I was wondering how you got to school when you were a kid?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana-to-9
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Grade school: walked, we lived across the street from school

middle school: walked to bus stop a block away and then took the city bus.  Rides when there was inclement weather were not an option and my mom worked the early shift as a nurse.

high school: we moved to the country.  Walked about 1/4 mile to the bus stop as we lived on a dead end that the bus did not go down.  No option for a ride.  Once I got my drivers liscence, my folks got me a car and I was the school driver! 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I walked to grade school and I think my best-friend-across-the-street's mom gave us rides if it was extremely cold but honestly I don't know that for sure.

In junior high, we walked to the bus stop.  Again, I don't think we got rides to the bus stop or school if it was really cold.

I rode the bus in high school the first year but got my DL and drove my own the rest of my years in high school.

Seriously, I don't remember the cold weather, and I grew up in the same city where I'm living now! 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Everyone rode buses. Parents rarely if ever drove kids. We were not wimps like kids today. Mine rode buses too until they drove themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valkay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Walked. We were 1/2 block short of the required 1 mile to qualify for the bus. Plus we got an hour off for lunch so I had to walk home and back then also.
MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Kinder I rode a bus as everyone went to the same one in the city. I walked then til 10th grade where I went to the vo tech & took the bus. 

In elementary I walked home for lunch too.

my2kidsmom9498
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

walked through 4th grade, home for lunch too, when we moved, then I took the bus.  My kids walked other than Jr High.  And 1st through 5th grades came home for lunch too.  ds in high school, still comes home now and then, if he just wants a break from school or forgot something.

.Holly.
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Elementary walked or parents drove if weather was bad. Lived pretty close to the school.
Junior high and high school parents or friends drove until I got my license.
Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

From K to 8th grade I walked and came home for lunch.  For the first 2 years of high school when we lived in the city, I took public transportation to school.  During really bad weather in Cleveland, a lot of people took the bus so I had to stand in the cold and snow until one of them stopped.  My family then moved to the suburbs and I took a school bus for the last 2 years.  I was the only one who walked home from driver's ed because no one ever came to get me and it was a really long walk.

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

We walked and took the bus.

bambismom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I took a bus until I was old enough to ride my bike (jr. high) In the winter my mom would drop me and a friend off on her way to work  (took turns, sometimes her dad took us)  We would get to school early and study.  (Sometimes!)  I never drove myself because we only had one car.  Caught a city bus to go home.  The school bus was a horrible place, kids were so mean, I just didn't like it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)