Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

easy homemade emergency "candles"

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

I saw this a while back and decided to try it before our weather got bad in case I needed emergency candles.

What you need:

the cheapest shortening you can find.

Shabbat candles (inexpensive, in the kosher food section. 12 in a pack cost me $2.00)

clean glass jars with lids.

I melted the shortening in the microwave in my Pyrex one-quart measuring cup with handle.  When it was no longer too hot, I poured the melted shortening into my glass jars, to about 4" and placed them in the fridge to chill.

Once chilled but not yet solid, I inserted a Shabbat candle in the middle and left in the fridge to finish becoming solid.

Since shortening can go rancid, I'm going to store these in the back of my fridge.

Alledgedly, these will burn for 100 hours!

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Have never heard of shabbat cndles, but  this sounds like a very resourceful idea.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM

actually, neither had I until I saw the article online.  They are usually found in the Kosher foods aisle at the grocery store.  they are only 4.75" tall.

Quoting mac1940:

Have never heard of shabbat cndles, but  this sounds like a very resourceful idea.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM

never heard of doing that, let me know how they work!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM

They work well.  I had one going a good portion of the day yesterday (although I didn't really need it).  It's nice to know I have 3 candles right now ready to be used if I need them.   I plan to melt the rest of the shortening and make a few more.

Quoting LadySaphira:

never heard of doing that, let me know how they work!

hugss
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Thanks for sharing :)

hugss
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:24 AM

They are used in the Jewish religion,

Quoting mac1940:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)