Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So This Ought To Make You Laugh...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Amy
  • 12 Replies

This is embarrassing, horrifying, and hilarious at the same time...

I had to stop in a make a payment last night after work.  As I was walking into the place, I noticed a woman walking behind me so I held the door for her.  She breezed through the door and said thank you.  She then walked right up to the back of the line.  I was immediately annoyed.  Granted, there were only two other people in line, but first off, why wouldn't you just grab the door  that I'm holding for you and walk in behind me?  Secondly, why should you get in line in front of me?  

I was working myself up in my head just jumping on my soap box.  I had decided that when the person was done in front of us that I was going to stroll on up to the window to do my transaction- I am going to stand up for myself!  So the time comes.  I walk up in front of her and the lady behind the counter kind of looks around me and starts to say something about the woman who is now behind me.  I politely cut her off (like that's polite, right?) and say no, I am next, I held the door for her coming in- she was clearly behind me.  And the counter lady says well, no, she is next- she had to go to her car to get something- I was in the middle of her transaction and she had to step away, so I waited on other people while she was retrieved the item she forgot.  (The employee had been using the other computer for those other people) Oh, if only the floor could open up from under me right then and there.  I was horrified.  I had made such a complete ass out of myself with my assumptions!  I immediately apologized to the other customer and she just laughed and said no problem, I was just going to let you go ahead.  She was sooo nice about my abrupt and rude behavior and I felt 10X worse!!  I explained my actions to her and and she completely understood.  All three of us then got a good laugh out of it and made small talk the remaining time we were there.  When she left, I thanked her again for being so nice to me when I was such a brat and she just brushed me off and said she would have probably felt the same way.  If anything I have learned not to rush to judgement on situations and to calm the eff down!!  

Have you ever assumed something and were way off base, therefore making a complete idiot of yourself??

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

wow.  You know, if I had been that lady, I would have told you, "oh thank you - I had to run to my car to get something and now I can finish my transaction."  that would have spared you what you felt! 

Monday in the grocery store parking lot it was super busy.  I had my left turn blinker on, waiting for a car to pull out of his/her spot but as they pulled out another car swooped in there because the car pulling out blocked me from pulling in before this other Ahole.  Actually over the weekend nearly the same thing happened at the bank except I was able to pull in before the other person swooped into the spot.  sheez.  

I'm glad the ladies in your case were understanding and were able to laugh and make small talk with you! 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM
3 moms liked this

On our 5th anniversary, Mark's cousins and brother took us out bar hopping to celebrate. Not being a "drinker" I was feeling pretty dang good after 2 rum and cokes. I needed to use the bathroom so I got in the long line and waited my turn while DH and his cousins played pool. When I came out I saw DH bending over the pool table to take his shot so I walked up and pinched his rear. He jumped and turned around and to my dismay I discovered he wasn't my DH! The man had similar coloring and the same shirt on as my DH. I immediately started babbling an apology aas the woman he was with sat at a nearby table laughing her head off. She told me "That's OK sweetie, it is probably the biggest thrill he has had in a long time"

Come to find out, Mark's brother's GF got into a fight with some chick and was told to leave while I was waiting/using the bathroom and they decided to wait for me outside. Woudl have been nice if someone had come and told me!

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Quoting LadySaphira:

On our 5th anniversary, Mark's cousins and brother took us out bar hopping to celebrate. Not being a "drinker" I was feeling pretty dang good after 2 rum and cokes. I needed to use the bathroom so I got in the long line and waited my turn while DH and his cousins played pool. When I came out I saw DH bending over the pool table to take his shot so I walked up and pinched his rear. He jumped and turned around and to my dismay I discovered he wasn't my DH! The man had similar coloring and the same shirt on as my DH. I immediately started babbling an apology aas the woman he was with sat at a nearby table laughing her head off. She told me "That's OK sweetie, it is probably the biggest thrill he has had in a long time"

Come to find out, Mark's brother's GF got into a fight with some chick and was told to leave while I was waiting/using the bathroom and they decided to wait for me outside. Woudl have been nice if someone had come and told me!

That's hilarious!

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Oh no, you poor thing!  Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh how embarrasing Im glad you all were able to laugh it off!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I enjoyed your story, yes I would have felt the same way.  I have a few of those myself when I was younger, now I tend to just let things ride.  I am so glad you all got to laugh about it.

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!  Yeah, it's kind of funny, but I'm sure you were embarrassed!  I guess there's a reason the word is "ass-umption", right?!?!!!  LOL!

I can't think of anything specific, but dang, it sounds like something that would happen to me.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Naaahhhh! Not me!

haha! Right now I can't think of any stories though. 

amylulu1
by Amy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Rude drivers are at the top of my list! Ugh. My kids tell me I'm over-courteous...it drives them nuts, LOL. I don't know how you kept your cool!

Quoting suzeebloch:

wow.  You know, if I had been that lady, I would have told you, "oh thank you - I had to run to my car to get something and now I can finish my transaction."  that would have spared you what you felt! 

Monday in the grocery store parking lot it was super busy.  I had my left turn blinker on, waiting for a car to pull out of his/her spot but as they pulled out another car swooped in there because the car pulling out blocked me from pulling in before this other Ahole.  Actually over the weekend nearly the same thing happened at the bank except I was able to pull in before the other person swooped into the spot.  sheez.  

I'm glad the ladies in your case were understanding and were able to laugh and make small talk with you! 

amylulu1
by Amy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh,i could've died from embarrassment! I was so self-righteous (sp?) It could have been so bad...thank goodness she was so gracious!

Quoting KittyGram:

Wow!  Yeah, it's kind of funny, but I'm sure you were embarrassed!  I guess there's a reason the word is "ass-umption", right?!?!!!  LOL!

I can't think of anything specific, but dang, it sounds like something that would happen to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)