Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have an appt on Sat to put my dog to sleep :(

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM
  • 43 Replies

I lost my dog a few years ago that was about 12 yrs old.  It was so hard on me.  I was filled with such grief.  I wasn't sure if I could even love another dog after her but I went to a rescue group and brought home an older puppy.  The first 3 months were fine and then she started growling at everyone.  By that point I loved her and I know she loved me and I did not want to give her back.  I have tried everything from bringing in professionals to building expensive fences to keep her away from people/kids.  She is so sweet to me.  However, she scares everyone else.  She has almost biten a number of people (they pulled away in time).  Last week she bit my daughter in law.  She was even on the other side of a extra tall gate but my dil reached over to hand something to my dd and my dog jumped up and bit her in the arm.  She didn't hurt her as she had a coat on but I felt terrible.  I talked to my vet and he agrees she is unstable and a danger.  It is so hard because I know it's the right thing to do but I have never had a dog love me SO much as this dog.  I can't believe I'm having to go through this grief again :(

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, I am so sorry.  This is so sad and I can understand where you are coming from.  You rescued a puppy - but obviously whatever she went through before you rescued her was simply too much for her to overcome.  I am glad she was sweet to you - that to me says that she knows how much you love her.  She will be relieved from her inner turmoil because of your love and sacrifice. 

Hugs to you ...

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM
I'mm sorry you have to go through this. No matter the reason its never an easy decision.
KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I'm so sorry. ((Hugs)) 

DixieL
by Dixie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. We had a little toy poodle for 16 years. We got him for our son, when he was six years old. Our son named him Spunky, and Spunky adopted me as his mom. When we finally had to put him down, after 16 years, it crushed me too. I wish there was something that could be done, so you wouldn't have to put her down. Again, I'm so sorry, and you will be in my thoughts.

jlsjjsmom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I'm so sorry. No matter what the circumstances it's hard to lose your 'fur baby'.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry that you have to do this but I admire you for doing it. My sister's (the crazy one) dog has bitten 3 people that I know of, probably more. The last one was a little kid and he got her face badly enough that she needed stitches. She hides the dog and lies about it being put to sleep when animal control shows up,  I have no clue how she gets away with it.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Aww I'm so sorry!!!  I know it is hard to face and go through with.  Big hugs to you.  I will say this though....I admire and respect you for making that decision because a lot of people don't and while it is SO sad sometimes I think it's the necessary thing to do.  Again...big hugs to you!!!!!

emptynstr
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Sometimes our pets have issues that we just cannot help them get past. We have a cat (also a rescue) that would have to be put-down if we could not keep her. She "Red Zones" around other people. 

All you can do is the best you can frown mini

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I am so sorry that you are having to do this - having been there and done that, I know it is not easy.  But I too also have great admiration for you being able to do this.  Hugs

Mariagma3
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I'm so sorry! I feel so bad because you have a good relationship with her. But, if she's dangerous, that is a different story. Maybe take pics before. HUGS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)