Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!!!! Guardianship of Grandchild!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM
  • 14 Replies
Ok so here is the issue, my step-daughter has gotten into some legal trouble (shes basically getting screwed over and shes innocent, I really dont want to go into detail) but its not looking good. So we are going to be getting custody of her 6yr old lil girl for probably a good amount of time (a couple of years). Has anyone else gotten custody of a grandchild? Can you tell me about the legal aspects of it. How easy or hard it was getting them put on your medical insurance, taking to the Dr/dentist/eye Dr/etc. And getting them registered in school. Also if you get financial assistance to help take care of the child.

I hate that this has to be done but i really dont our granddaughter put into the foster care system cause we will probably lose her forever. I love her too much!
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rkkeller13
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Bump
MidwestMama55
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Sounds like you need an attorney that specializes in this kind of custody arrangement.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I would suggest you contact an attorney but there are two moms at least on this site who have had custody of their grandchild/grandchildren.  They will no doubt be able to give you some advice as soon as they see your post.  Good luck and I know Kountrylady and GrammaKitty will be a lot of help.

rkkeller13
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Thank you!

Quoting mac1940:

I would suggest you contact an attorney but there are two moms at least on this site who have had custody of their grandchild/grandchildren.  They will no doubt be able to give you some advice as soon as they see your post.  Good luck and I know Kountrylady and GrammaKitty will be a lot of help.

rkkeller13
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Unfortunately we can't afford an attorney. Besides I believe we can handle the legal aspects of it for now. I just need some kind of idea of what we are going to experience.

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Sounds like you need an attorney that specializes in this kind of custody arrangement.

Ambear72
by Amber on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I cant answer you but I am so sorry your family is going through this.  Ill pray for you all to get through this and that it goes easily.  My cousin became my gaurdian of me when my parents died, but I cant tell you how it all happened and it didnt seem to be hard to me.

MiCKIE72
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM
I have had my granddaughter since March of last year & had custody/guardianship since June. We are already foster/adoptive parents,already have an atty but it was simple. We talked to our atty,both parents consented & one simple court hearing. We paid $1500. We added her to our insurance,it was also simple. With legal custody/guardianship you have all legal rights to take her to dr,etc...you are legally responsible.
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I have never had to dael with this type of issue but I know a couple ladies in this group have and they will be very helpful. I wish you lots of luck!

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi RK,I've had custody of my grandaughter since she was an infant and is now going on nine years old. With your step-daughter going to jail? IS the father of any of his family in the picture?  If not and your step-daughter has full custody of the child she can sign custody over to you and I belive all you have to do is get notarized. But each state is different so you may want to check for sure. My daughter and the dad signed their legal rights away so in my case unless I agree for them to ever get custody of my grandaughter I have to okay it.Or they have to go to court and show they're capable of providing a better home envirowment ect...

But once you have custody papers in hand you will have no problems with getting her on your insurance,enrolled in school ect.  And yes you can get financial assistance for her through the state,they may go after the father for child support if he isn't already paying. And I know here in MO they also offer a program that help family members raising children of other family members for one reason or another.  Luckily my granddaughters dad is paying child support and is in my her life as well as her mom.

But just call your states/county family services or just get a consultation with a lawyer(they're usually free) and ask them what questions you have.  And you can find a lot of information through AARP..they have special information section for parents raising grandchildren. Its suprising how many of us are out here.  There is also an organization called GRandparent as Parents or GRandparents Raising GRandchildren, they can help you also.

I wish you luck and if you would like to talk just message me. If I can help any further or ya just need to talk. ((HUGSS))

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
7 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Hugs to you,
I do agree that you need an attorney for this kind of thing,
Hopfully they will be able to answer all your question.
Keep us posted on what's going on :)

Quoting rkkeller13: Ok so here is the issue, my step-daughter has gotten into some legal trouble (shes basically getting screwed over and shes innocent, I really dont want to go into detail) but its not looking good. So we are going to be getting custody of her 6yr old lil girl for probably a good amount of time (a couple of years). Has anyone else gotten custody of a grandchild? Can you tell me about the legal aspects of it. How easy or hard it was getting them put on your medical insurance, taking to the Dr/dentist/eye Dr/etc. And getting them registered in school. Also if you get financial assistance to help take care of the child.

I hate that this has to be done but i really dont our granddaughter put into the foster care system cause we will probably lose her forever. I love her too much!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)