Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Landlord shut down water

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM
  • 12 Replies
On Monday the landlord shut down my water from outside. I filed a complain against him with the code enforcement and I have pictures of him doing this. I read about tenant laws and it says a landlord cannot kicked you out of the property in order not to fix the damages, in this case hot water. I want to leave but not having where to go doesn't help me. In the papers I read it says I can sue him for shutting the water. I have it back now bc I called a plumber.
What do you think? I'm not sure what to do. It's not karma I'm afraid, I just don't like being mean and I feel mean if I pursue it. But I think I have a right to do so.
I'm outside the courthouse with papers ready in hand to go file. I'm nervous and scared. I'm not looking for compensation but he isn't being too kind either with us not having hot water since Dec and now him shutting down the water altogether.
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Go for it.  Did he give you a reason as to why he shut off the water in the first place?  And why hasn't he fixed the water heater? 

EireLass
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Why did he shut the water off?
What do you mean he did it outside?
A lawsuit will take a very long time....couple years typically. What would you hope to get out of him?
4girlsmum
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you should put your efforts and finances into moving, not suing.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM

The landlord should be held accountable for his actions.  People cannot treat their tenants that way.  Shouldn't he have to pay a fine or something???

flika
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM
I'm not even sure if it's a lawsuit I want to file. I need to file something to make him get my water back on.

Quoting EireLass: Why did he shut the water off?

What do you mean he did it outside?

A lawsuit will take a very long time....couple years typically. What would you hope to get out of him?
flika
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM
According to a note the city left in the water meter yes. He would be fine for tampering with the water. We don't know if he has come back to put it back on bc we are not here all day.

Quoting jabs54:

The landlord should be held accountable for his actions.  People cannot treat their tenants that way.  Shouldn't he have to pay a fine or something???

flika
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM
When I read the tenant laws it says a landlord cannot kick me out for requesting to fix things he has to have in working condition. He did this when after one month he didn't fix it and I filed a complain with the city. Today I filed one about the water with pictures included showing him doing something and then leaving in his car. Even a close up. There's no denying it was him. Originally he asked me to wait a month to fix the water heater then he offered me to reduce the rate I pay in exchanged of cold water during the winter. I refused.

Today I get home and a letter says I'm costing him money and to pay rent. That he had to move the closing of the home. He claims he is selling. I don't have proof I don't know if its true

Quoting suzeebloch:

Go for it.  Did he give you a reason as to why he shut off the water in the first place?  And why hasn't he fixed the water heater? 

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Do it .. he shouldn't have unless he said something to you :)

flika
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Mobile Photo

He put a lock in the water access. I can't get it back on but I filed a complain with the city and sent the pictures of it.
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this

You are  not being mean for pursuing it, you are standing up for yourself and your family against a bully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN