Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Never expected it to go viral!

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM
  • 26 Replies

oops hit post before I could write the post LOL

I don't kow how many of you are aware of the situation but a young mother in our area was fired by McDonlads after 8 years of employment and it has caused a big cry of outrage.

Apparently shortly fighting a fire last week a group of firefighters came in to get breakfast. The girl paid for their food ( reports vary between $75 and $80) out of her own pocket. a short while later another group of fire fighters came in with a large order. She contacted the owener, and coperate offices to see if they would donate/comp the food and was told no so she and two other empployees pooled their money and paid for the food onc eagain. McDonalds is claiming that she swore at superiors, she is claiming that she only said "This is fricken rediculous". A lot of people in our area are very upset about her being fired.

The whole situation has gone viral. It has the news in Dallas and Philidalphia (I am sure other places I am not aware of), and talked about on Nacy Grace. We even have a meem about it now. Who would have thunk our little city would ever bee the focus of so much attention. I think the last time was back in 1974 when we had a school shooter.

The good news is, she has had several job offers which I think is great.

here is a link to one of the stories if your interested:

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/news/article_58b17e1c-99f5-11e3-86fb-0019bb2963f4.html

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:45 AM

It made the news here in KC, too.   I thought of you when I saw it.  You live in Olean?  Glad she has other job offers already. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 4:49 AM

I've seen memes already and I'm in NE.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Yes, Adrienne went to school with her and says she is a really nice person.

Quoting suzeebloch:

It made the news here in KC, too.   I thought of you when I saw it.  You live in Olean?  Glad she has other job offers already. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM

It just goes to show how fast things can spread due to the internet. 30 yeas ago this would have made local papers, and possibly local news but it would have never spread as far as it has.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I've seen memes already and I'm in NE.

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I read about it & thought it was awful. I had posted about it & some people had said they were sure she had done something. I was like, come on? Even if she got upset, 8 year employee should get a pass. But I am still livid that I know they would throw away $70 worth of food or whatever it was. No reason it couldn't be donated. I would have been way more mouthy than I am sure she was...;)

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I heard about it as well.  I imagine that McD is regretting their decision,. They have egg mcmuffin all over their face.

mrs.Emm1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I don't know how you justify firing an 8 year employee over less than a hundred dollars being used in such a respectable way.  Hopefully she'll move on to a much better place to work.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

And it is going to be McD's that pays in the long run with loss of business, bad PR, etc.  And this wonderful gal may go on to a bigger and better job.  Hurray for her.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I don't know why a manager would of said no,they usually have money budgeted in for donations ect. to their local community. And like the other poster said, they throw more then that away every day.

She should of been being commended,rather than being fired.  I know in the little town where I lived at in MD,in nay of the resturaunts,rather they were locally owned or a franchise(like McDonalds)all our police and firemen got their meals free if they were on duty. And if they were off they got a discount. I'm glad to se so many people are standing behind her.  

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM

The food wasn't going to be thrown away. The firefighters did not ask for their food to be free, they had originally intended to pay for it. She took it upon herself to pay for the first group as a "thank you for your service" token. With the second group, she had no money left so she asked corporate to comp the food and they refused so 2 other employees pooled in with her to pay for them.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I read about it & thought it was awful. I had posted about it & some people had said they were sure she had done something. I was like, come on? Even if she got upset, 8 year employee should get a pass. But I am still livid that I know they would throw away $70 worth of food or whatever it was. No reason it couldn't be donated. I would have been way more mouthy than I am sure she was...;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)