Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

curfew or not

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM
  • 21 Replies
For those of you with college students living at home, is it too much to ask them to be home at midnight? In my mind nothing good happens past that time and two or three am or not coming home at all drives me nuts. Out of respect for the parents at the very least that worry that they are ok since it doesn't matter to them they still have to go to school or work in the morning, your thoughts?
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM
I would not give curfews to adult children out of hs. If I knew where they were fine. Hell, I stayed out past midnight in hs. Different time. Parents have to learn to step back when they are young adults.
I stayed out till 3am and made it to work at 8am before. 20 somethings need to learn to be responsible. I was never late for work or school and never called in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinysmom160
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Yes that is silly my kids one in college and one out and they come in when they want but I trust them Midnight is to early...........

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I always told my kids that - nothing good happens after midnight.  Your college student needs to be thankful it is a curfew at midnight.  That is late enouh unless they make prior arrangements and tell you they are staying with a friend.  I think they need to respect your concern as long as they live under your roof.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I agree that nothing good happens after midnight ;)   My dd lived at home for 3 years while she was in college but she really didn't have a curfew.  I trusted her to make good choices and didn't wait up worrying about her.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:14 PM
My kids lived with me for a very short time after graduating high school. My rule was.....call by 10 to let me know if your coming home.
thistooshallpas
by Kim Martin on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Yes, definitely! We ask our son to be home before 1-2am. If he is going to stay at his friends house then at least a call or text letting us know. Most every night he's home before 11:00pm. Our oldest had a difficult time with this rule but looking back, it's only considerate to us. When they live outside the house, their rules. When living in our home, our rules. 

emmygirl31
by Angie on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Until the day my daughter got married she had a 1am curfew in my house.  She was very good about it and never gave us a problem.  I think if someone is going to be out all night they should call to tell you.  It doesnt matter if it is your spouse, your parent or your child--if they live in your house it is a courtesy to call if not coming home.

nowynd
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I would simply say, "I'm locking the doors at such and such time and your father and I are going to bed."  Then do it.  I know it's hard to get used to.  But you have to trust how you raised them.  They'll make mistakes, but they know they can turn to you.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:06 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM

While it is true nothing good happens after midnight,
They are adults .. so if they need to be at work/school then they will :)

DixieL
by Dixie on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:21 AM

I don't think they would follow a curfew. In my opinion, they could at least call and let you know, that they are ok, and where they are going to be. I think at that age, you would just be ignored. Welcome to cafemom and to our group. My name is Dixie. I have been a member for about three years. In this group, there are all really good moms who care. I hope to see you around a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)