Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Has anyone retired?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM
  • 28 Replies
I am supposed to retire July 30 (my 30 years in) and am stressing! Is this normal? Anyone have second thoughts? I am debating if I should work longer??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Esmrlda
by Esme on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I havent retired but I would think it is normal. What are you stressing about?

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I suppose I am retired, although I would still love to have a part time job.  I do volunteer once a week at a large hospital, and have a lot of hobbies, and social stuff I do.   I think it is perfectly normal to feel as you do and have have to ask yourself some questions:  Will money be an issue?   What will I miss about working?  Will I have enough to do if I am not working?  It is absolutely one of the biggest changes, and change always requires adjustment.  If you are really not sure, why not extend your work until the end of the year, and then reevaluate your decision.   Best of luck with whatever you decide. 

njt320
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM
I will have a pension I just don't feel ready I am 51 but am also very tired of my job and full time hours. The longer I work the better my pension will be. But I could also retire and do something fun part time and my parents are needed help soon

Quoting Esmrlda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM

what are you stressing about?  if you are tired of your job and the full time hours but your pension would be better if you worked longer, could you go to part time?  I have no idea what kind of work you do so that may not be realistic.  But as Lynda mentioned, maybe stick it out to the end of the year and then re-evaluate?

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I am 66 and may never retire.  I have more than 20 years in toward retirement but I could never live on my pension.  Besides, what would I do with myself if I retired.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Feb. 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your ready for a change.  I would retire and do something fun part time and help the parents. Will working longer make that much of a difference?

Quoting njt320: I will have a pension I just don't feel ready I am 51 but am also very tired of my job and full time hours. The longer I work the better my pension will be. But I could also retire and do something fun part time and my parents are needed help soon
Quoting Esmrlda:

mumsy2three
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Not yet but I am hoping that I will be able to when my youngest is out of school (in 10 years)

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I am retired and in a word, yes, stressing is normal when you decide to do it with all the questions Lynda raised going thru your mind.  But it didn't take long after finally doing it. to begin enjoying it.  As an R>N>, I could if I wanted to go back to work either full or part time,  and initially I thought I would go back part time but at the present time I am enjoying myself too much.  We did buy a big motorhome and travel the Unitedf States for  six years before settling in again.  I kind of thought I might get bored spending that many hour a day with dh, but that has not happened.  While we do a lot together we each have interests and a few activities we don't share.  Life is good.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Originally I had hoped to retire when I was 51 (2 years ago), but that was wishing...I am now working to 61 to make sure I have enough to retire on.  Besides, the job is challenging and I try not to let it stress me out.  I know it will be lonely at first, goodness knows I live alone and some times being alone is tough with family all being busy.  But I have plans to find other things to do like volunteer, spend more time with my DGD, travel, quilt, host weekend dinners for family, visit my sister, perhaps consult part-time.  I do know that I will have to find something to do.  I can see that sitting around the house can destroy my health if I do not stay physically and mentally active.  I think it will take about a year of adjustment to get myself settled into an active routine.  If you want to continue to work  to build your pension - then wait!!!!  The stress would be off because you can retire whenever it feels right.

DixieL
by Dixie on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Congratulations if you retire. I've been on Social Security Disability, since I had my son. My brother-in-law retired from his job, when it was time, and got another job. He didn't want to quit working, but he wanted to retire from the job he had.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)