Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today is International Chili Day (2/27)

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM
  • 9 Replies

Share your favorite Chili recipe

Cindy

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Oh gosh...I have a couple that I use to tell you the truth.  Sometimes I just toss stuff in too.  No recipe at all. lol

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Ground turkey or ground beef with chopped onions browned. I use tomato sauce, and paste and water. Chili beans. Chili powder, I use 2 kinds of Penseys. Cook on low an hour or more. I add spaghetti and cook till done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I have tweaked my Grandpa's chili recipe over the years and now can pretty much make a batch with no recipe.  I brown the hamburger first and then toss it in a crock pot along with diced onion and green peppers, tomato sauce, a can of diced tomato with chilis, and then seasonings of salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, curry powder, garlic, a couple bay leaves, paprika, a dash of red pepper.  Then I put it on low and simply let the flavors all meld together all day. 

My Grandpa's recipe did not contain beans.   I grew up eating chili this way - they'd have a bowlful of VanKamps Pork n Beans on the table and we'd spoon some pork n beans on top of our chili for 2 purposes - to tone it down if too spicy, and to cool it down if too hot.  lol.   When I grew up and had chili in other places, it just seemed wrong to see the beans already in the chili! 

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like spicy food so when I make chili I just use ground beef, onions, diced tomatoes and a can of tomato soup.  I like to put cheese and sour cream on top when it is in my bowl.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I have a variety of recipes I use, most of which only vary in the spices used or the meat used.  I always thought of chili as being made with ground meat, but many years ago when visiting in Mexico I found, much to my surprise, that they do not use ground meat.  So now I sometimes use pulled roast beeg or chicken or turkey and all the chili seasonins, tomato sauce, usually do add chili or kidney beans and often a can of diced tomatoes with chilis.  I top with sour cream and cheese.

DixieL
by Dixie on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM

That really looks good. Cindy, how do you find out these things? I love Chili Day.

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM
I make a white chicken chili in the crockpot but the recipe is long and at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saharra
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM
I do white chilli. Love it!

1 can of chicken (or you can cook it and cut it up. Doesn't need much)
1 can of salsa (just a regular sized jar)
1 large of great northern beans
1 can of chicken broth
8oz of cheese (I use Colby Jack)
Chilli powder

Toss all in the crock pot on high for an hour. Then reduce to low until ready to eat!

Then you can put cheese or sour cream on top. YUM!
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 1:35 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:13 AM

we like chili & bbq chili :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)