Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

special traditions

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:47 AM
  • 36 Replies

do you have any traditions you started when your lo was small that you have continued with now that they are grown?  From the first year Emma was born I made it a tradtion to be with her at 112pm which was the exact moment of her birth.  We would wait for the clock to strike 112pm, she would get a birthday kiss and then go back to what she was doing. Her birthday is Halloween, so when she was small it was easy to be with her. I always volunteered to be the class mother for the Halloween party so I was there.  The years her birthday was on the weekends were easier.  Even when she was in college, I met her in the hall outside her class-we did the birthday kiss and I left(40 min drive up and 40 min drive back).  Now she is a teacher, and I help out at the halloween party every year so I am there at 112pm. I know it is a stupid tradition, but I just think this is one moment in time that only we 2 share. I always tease her and say she is lucky she wasnt born at 300am or I would be waking her up!

by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
No traditions here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by Carol on Mar. 1, 2014 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this
They get the birthday meal of their choice made by me. And used to be cake of choice but more that they are grown, it is dessert of choice.
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

They get to plan the menu to be prepared by me for their birthday and let me tell you as they got older those menus got more complicated.  And even now, when they no longer live close to me, the first thing they ask for when we get together is their belated birthday dinner.

Senile-felines
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
This is a Christmas tradition. Every year they get brand new underwear. on. the. tree. Yup, tied to the tree. They are 15&12 and absolutely love it!!
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That's an awesome tradition!!!  My daughter was born around 8 a.m. but she is NOT a morning person.  Johnny was born at 1:10 a.m. so that wouldn't work for me.  LOL.  There really aren't any traditions I established when they were young that carry thru until the present time.  Well, except for stocking stuffers at Christmastime.  does that count?  :o)

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We do a few Christmas related things.... Making a truckload of cookies.... Watching national lampoons Christmas vacation... Driving around looking at Christmas lights...... And now with the grand kids, annual photos with Santa.
MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

During the day would have been hard once they hit school age. Being in middle school & high school, they would be in class, so how did you do that? 

Jonathan was born at 11:43 pm, but by that time the birthday was almost over, so it was kind of like the ending. Never thought about anything with the time. 

Birthday meals were really all there were. This will be the first birthday where he is many states away, so I will make sure to get him to go out for it. I just won't be there. 

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I think it's a very sweet tradition. I also bet your daughter likes it. We don't have any special traditions, that I can think of. I wish I had started some, when Jason was little.

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Quoting MichelleMc:

During the day would have been hard once they hit school age. Being in middle school & high school, they would be in class, so how did you do that? 

Jonathan was born at 11:43 pm, but by that time the birthday was almost over, so it was kind of like the ending. Never thought about anything with the time. 

Birthday meals were really all there were. This will be the first birthday where he is many states away, so I will make sure to get him to go out for it. I just won't be there. 

Hopefully next year, you will be together.

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Quoting KittyGram: We do a few Christmas related things.... Making a truckload of cookies.... Watching national lampoons Christmas vacation... Driving around looking at Christmas lights...... And now with the grand kids, annual photos with Santa.

Those are really awesome traditions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)