Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Did you have "the talk" with any of your kids?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM
  • 21 Replies

Did you have the sex talk with any of your kids?

Did you or your SO have the chat?  

Did you use any type of book or pamphlet? 

Did your kids have any type of sex ed in school? 

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM

He did have sex ed in school. But it was with a preacher. Boys seperate from girls ( which I agreed with ). It actually was handled well. 

We both had different talks with him at different times. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

No.  It was just something that never came up.  lol.  Not sure how I escaped that though.

Manth
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I started out simply - they were about 4 and 5 years old when a friend announced that she was pregnant.  My girls were curious about how and why that happened so we found a book about bodies and development of babies and 'followed along' with the pregnancy and how baby Bronwyn was developing.  As they grew older, the questions got more detailed and specific about bodies and sex and so on and I was always open about anything they wanted to talk about.  So it all happened in a very organic way.

They did do sex ed at school - my older dd told me it was simultaneously the most embarrassing and most boring class she had ever been in.  Boring because they didn't discuss ANYTHING that we hadn't talked about at home in much more detail than they covered in school.  Embarrassing because of the reactions of some kids whose parents hadn't been nearly as forthcoming.

caro100
by Carol on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, there was sex ed, but the teachers that did the educating showed a film and then gave a small talk and answered questions, were so embarrassed, that a lot of misinformnation was given.  I had already given my boys the talk, and they were amazed at how uncomfortable the teachers were.  Several of the boys friends came home with mine and we all had adiscussion of what was said in the class.  The friends said they couldn't talk with their parents

EireLass
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Forever. I was always very relaxed about talking with the kids, so it was an open conversation since they were very young. I think they did have sex ed in school, but they already knew, so there wasnt any shock to hear it from a teacher. My mom was yhe same with me.
Why123
by Nancy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids did have sex ed in school.  I didn't have the sex talk with them, they had it with me because they were far more informed than I was.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I did have the talk with my kids - I actually though dh should have the talk with the boys, but I guess because his parents never had it with him, he didn't find it necessary.  But I wanted my boys to know things like  respect of the opposite ex (no means no, etc) and that should they be responsible for a pregnancy, they would then be responsible for a child, be aware of how serious STD's can be, etc.  They also had sex ed in school.  Since we never had any bad things happen, I'm guessing some of what they learned sunk in.  I also counseled by daughter as well and I note that she is now having the tlak with her oldest daughter.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Yes many years ago.  lol 

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I did talk to my kids.  I had a christian book to follow.  My youngest dd had the opportunity to go to a sex ed class but she opted out of it.  I choose to teach her.

Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:54 PM

never just "a sex talk".. always just talking.  with my daughter it was just always talking about her body and changes and feelings at each stage and letting her know what was coming next.  we talked a lot of social aspects.  i did give her a book one of those 'about your body' books because she was pretty private - didnt share as much early on.  i was very open .. and so was she in general.
my son is 10 and we have been talking about his body and puberty and what is coming.  
i dont think one parent or the other shouldl be responsible.. both should... but same gender can give a more knowledgable perspective..first hand and all lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)