Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Off to College

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello All!

Thanks for being so welcoming! I am a single Mom and I have an 18 year old, soon to be 19 year old son who is a senior in high school.  He has HFA but struggles a lot with social problems, organization, etc.  My question is does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make his transition to community college easier for this fall?  He is nervous already and I want to of course help him as much as I can to acclimate successfully.

Also, does anyone know where I could look for possible scholarships for Autistic kids?

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I'm sorry I don't know anything about HFA but I'm sure you will get some good advice from some mommys here.  Does he know what courses he wants to take?  Will he live at home?

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group,
Can you go visit the campus several times so he can get a feel for it?
See where his classes are .. see where other things are located?
Have you tried to google for the scholarships?
Good luck & hopefully others can help you out :)

Quoting beargirl56:

Hello All!

Thanks for being so welcoming! I am a single Mom and I have an 18 year old, soon to be 19 year old son who is a senior in high school.  He has HFA but struggles a lot with social problems, organization, etc.  My question is does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make his transition to community college easier for this fall?  He is nervous already and I want to of course help him as much as I can to acclimate successfully.

Also, does anyone know where I could look for possible scholarships for Autistic kids?

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Hi beargirl, I wish I knew how to help you, but I don't have any ideas. If I can think of anything, I'll come back. Welcome to cafemom, and to Moms With Adult Kids. This group is great, and we are all very close.I've been a member of cafemom for about three years, and I love it. I hope you do too.

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,Can you go visit the campus several times so he can get a feel for it?See where his classes are .. see where other things are located?Have you tried to google for the scholarships?Good luck & hopefully others can help you out :)

Quoting beargirl56:

Hello All!

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

I think you have some good ideas Hugss.

hugss

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much :)

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,Can you go visit the campus several times so he can get a feel for it?See where his classes are .. see where other things are located?Have you tried to google for the scholarships?Good luck & hopefully others can help you out :)

Quoting beargirl56:

Hello All!

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Quoting hugss:

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting beargirl56:

Hello All!

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

Your welcome. I was trying to think of someway to help her, and I think you came up with some good ideas. I couldn't think of anything.

hugss

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks .. let's hope it helps & others come up with more ideas :)

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting beargirl56:

Hello All!

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

Your welcome. I was trying to think of someway to help her, and I think you came up with some good ideas. I couldn't think of anything.

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hugss:

Thanks .. let's hope it helps & others come up with more ideas :)

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting hugss:

Quoting beargirl56:

Hello All!

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

I agree.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Hello and welcome to the group. I think visiting the local community college several times is a good idea. It will help him with a bit of the nervousness before he starts.

I am not about scholarships for individuals with Autism, but we do also have a group called Autism: Support Across the Spectrum. You may want to also join that group and ask there. The moms there are really well informed and may have helpful information for you.

Quoting beargirl56:

Hello All!

Thanks so much!

beargirl56

thistooshallpas
by Kim Martin on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm not familiar with HFA either but I like all the suggestions to visit the campus to get aquainted with the area, and all that goes with it. If it's a community college it may be a little less intimadating then a university to begin. My son applied for the usual Fafsa and was awarded enough to pay for his entire year. This is the time to apply. If you are a single mom then it will be good for him, unless of course you make a ton of money. My husband had been let go from his job after 19 years that year. We filled out the application for Fafsa and our son received quite a bit. He's in AZ now at NAU and still receives over $5000. We went and walked the campus and showed him where the gym, cafeteria, specific building for his major were and he is doing great! He's 22 though. Actually, you will find that he will rise to this occasion. My son was a complete loner here in our home town. Never had many friends, but he chose NAU after community college here in our hometown and didn't know one person in AZ. I was so worried for him. Now he has a job, girlfriend, 5 guy roommates, classes and I was just thinking it was the best thing for him. Good luck!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)