Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Does it surprise you

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 3:07 AM
  • 26 Replies
When you see and or hear how another culture is? I work at an Indian Reservation. And it's night and day there. Most people dont hug and kiss their kids. They dont hug them and tell them it's going to be alright . If a child falls most people I know will pick the child up make sure the child is ok, then send them on their way. It's so not like that at work. Parents drop off their kids at day care, turn and leave without a good bye, let along a hug or kiss. When a child gets hurt they tell them to get up, they are fine. If they cry about something, they are told stop that crying, boys don't cry. I saw this first hand. I was talking with my supervisor and she said that the Indians ( here anyway) are very tough people. they rather fight then hug,. When I see this it breaks my heart. I'm a touchy feely kind of person. It hard for me to understand their way of thinking.
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Amber, Your auto correct went nuts on this post.

But what I gather is that you work on an Indian reservation and they don't hug or kiss their kids. They aren't very affectionate people. 

It's hard to understand another culture and, IMO, that's why there is so much intolerance in the world. It's hard to accept something that is opposite of the way a person was raised. 

coffeeandsugar
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I agree with Cindy sometimes its difficult to understand another's culture but sometimes cultures develop a certain way in order to survive. Its neither wrong nor right - it just is. We being brought up differently would find it a challenge to understand. So your reaction to it is normal. When I was much younger, if I fell my dad would say get up, dust off and go again.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM

You have to be careful about judging a culture by a few experiences and relying on what others tell you. We have a large Native American population in our area and I see a lot of caring and love demonstrated among them and when out in public. I don't really see a huge difference in the way they care for their children. I do see some very different behaviors across cultures, including our own. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I'm so sorry, I was really tires when I posted this! I'll go back and fix it!

Quoting Cindy18:

But what I gather is that you work on an Indian reservation and they don't hug or kiss their kids. They aren't very affectionate people. 

It's hard to understand another culture and, IMO, that's why there is so much intolerance in the world. It's hard to accept something that is opposite of the way a person was raised. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM
So sorry for the horrible post, if you read this and it was messed up. I was really tired. I fixes it now.
Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Yes that's what I was getting at. One good thing is just cuz the parents don't hug the kids, doesn't mean I can't. So if I see a child who is sad I will ask them what is wrong and ask if they need a hug. Most of them accept the hug.

Quoting Cindy18:

Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Yea that's crazy, I at least will make sure my kids are ok first. If they fall from screwing around, and do that over reaction thing kids do, then I tell them to get up they are fine.

On kids father smacked him in the face and made his nose bleed. The little boy told his grandma and all she said was oh well. It's normal for them.

Quoting coffeeandsugar:

I agree with Cindy sometimes its difficult to understand another's culture but sometimes cultures develop a certain way in order to survive. Its neither wrong nor right - it just is. We being brought up differently would find it a challenge to understand. So your reaction to it is normal. When I was much younger, if I fell my dad would say get up, dust off and go again.

Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM
We do have a family there, that to my surprise does give hugs and kisses good bye and tells the little boy she live him. This family doesn't look like the affectionate type, sometime we can hear them coming because the Mom is always raising her voice at him to get down, or to come to her. He is a bit if a handful, and she seems like one if those tough moms who wouldn't say that to her kids.
Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM
I'm not judging them. I was saying that it surprised me. I always thought that is what people did. Kiss and hug their child and say good bye before they leave. I was told by an Indian lady, that that's how they are. No judging, I made an observation, and posted my initial reaction. I also stated in the post (here anyway," meaning that the ones here are like that. That was not generalizing the whole Native American Culture. Just the ones here.

Quoting LEK19:

You have to be careful about judging a culture by a few experiences and relying on what others tell you. We have a large Native American population in our area and I see a lot of caring and love demonstrated among them and when out in public. I don't really see a huge difference in the way they care for their children. I do see some very different behaviors across cultures, including our own. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM
I agree. I understand now, There is a lot of Domestic Abuse on the Reservation Here. So the woman have to be tough, and they feel they have to raise their kids to be tough. Somebody the stories the 3-5 yr olds tell me is crazy. One little bit told me his dad and his grandmother beat up on his mom. That Mom left his dad recently. I know there is domestic violence all over. I have worked with children my whole life. And in very different settings. I have worked in a place with mainly Hispanic children, and one with all white people. This is the first time I have been around so many people who just drop their kids off and leave. It's a huge Eye opener.

Quoting coffeeandsugar:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)