Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Mammograms

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM
  • 27 Replies
I haven't had one yet. I should be getting new insurance starting April 1st. I need to get a whole physical done. I'm 42 So I'm sure I will need to have a Mammogram. If you have had one can you tell me what it was like?
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I had first at 35. They recommend a baseline by 40. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes not. A pap is worse to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ambear72
by Amber on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Yes I hate those. My husbands aunt hadn't had one in like 10 or more years, and just after Thanksgiving she went to the ER cuz she was really sick. They found she had ovarian cancer. It was so bad that she never left the hospital. He was told that she had cancer coming out if her pors. She passed away Christmas Morning. So that gave me the push I needed to to go have one done. Gotta wait for that ins to kick in first though.

Quoting atlmom2: I had first at 35. They recommend a baseline by 40. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes not. A pap is worse to me.
KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree w/ atlmom2, a pap is worse.

I also had my first at about 35.  I'm (almost) 51 now, and I have no idea how many I've had to date now, but my most recent was in September 2013.

michelle623
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I'm 41 and had my 1st mammogram last November. It didn't hurt.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I have never had one, I know I should but I just never seem to have time for myself.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Yes, you should be getting a mammogram - recomended getting baseline at 40.  The newer machines are a lot more comfortable than the earlier ones.  I had no pain at all.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

After hearing some people complaining so much about mammograms, I was expecting something different. I have had two so far and they were nothing to be worried about. They do squeeze the breast tissue to get a good x-ray, but it was only a bit uncomfortable. I would compare it to getting your arm squeezed by the blood pressure cuff - kinda uncomfortable but not painful. They told me to let them know if I was being hurt at all.

They have to take twice as many x-rays for me and my sister because our breast tissue starts over to the side more than the average so they have to take more shots to include all the breast tissue.  It is not that we are so big, it is just the way we are!

DixieL
by Dixie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I have one every year, or year and a half.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I resisted and had my first one at 58.  I'd heard so much about how painful they are but it didn't hurt at all.  Maybe because I'm small breasted, I don't know???

ednaanderson
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

They aren't too bad. I'm glad I had one on the 4th of this month. I was diagnosed with breast cancer on the 12th. PLEASE DON'T LET FEAR OF A LITTLE PAIN STOP YOU FROM GETTING ONE! It could save your life!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)