Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Sat, 3-22 Why is it spelled that way???

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:26 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay, another question just popped into my head, so I'll use this as another question to cover Cindy while she's at Boy Scout Camp!

Why is it spelled that way? 

Light  Fight  but  Bite ??

Rose  Hose   but  Doze ??

Anyone else?

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames1990
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM

I can't think of specifics right now. But it reminds me of a doctor I worked for, here 30 years from Iran and still botched the language. When I asked her about it, she said because it makes no sense to her. Too many rules. Like the silent letters, the Y as an I. And one word meaning more then one thing. And also four words meaning the same thing. I have to agree with her. Lol
louannwilkins
by Louann on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Good question Ronna.  Of course I have no clue but good question.  lol

EireLass
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Yea.....what the hell.
LEK19
I feel Halloween in the air!
Yesterday at 3:43 PM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Anna struggles with spelling and so does Don. I hear this question whenever we do homework. Two of my kids and I are good spellers. Two are not. My older one has taught himself to really work on it and, of course, use spell check. He realizes he is a poor speller. Sometimes when he quick texts or e-mails, it shows up. Don is really bad and I think Anna is going to be, too. 

Besides spelling, think about all the different ways the letters are spoken, too. English is a tough language.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Japanese, on the other hand, is relatively "simple."  well, they have a gazillion characters, but actually all their syllables are based on the 5 vowel sounds.

A is always pronounced "ah"

I is always pronouned "eee"

U is always pronounced "oo", as in pool, roof, cool

E is always pronounced "eh"  like egg

O is always pronounced "Oh".

Once you figure this out, it becomes pretty easy.  Their basic alphabet is based on these 5 vowel sounds plus consonants K, S, T,, N, H, M, Y, R, W.  Except the "T" consonant sometimes has kind of an "s" sound to it as well, for example Tsunami. That word is written with only 3 characters.  Tsu Na Mi.  It's not quite pronounced Su na mi, nor is it quite pronounced Tu na mi, but Tsu.  kind of a combo of T and S.

And I really shouldn't be doing this now.  LOL.  I should be WORKING.  ha ha.

Quoting LEK19:

Anna struggles with spelling and so does Don. I hear this question whenever we do homework. Two of my kids and I are good spellers. Two are not. My older one has taught himself to really work on it and, of course, use spell check. He realizes he is a poor speller. Sometimes when he quick texts or e-mails, it shows up. Don is really bad and I think Anna is going to be, too. 

Besides spelling, think about all the different ways the letters are spoken, too. English is a tough language.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Ant and Aunt

here and hear

their,there,they're

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

And what about pronunciations:   Cough, tough, bough, though, rough.  It must be hell to learn the English language.  We have no rules. 

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Lynda is right.  I am sure learning english is very confusing.  I took French in college - taught by a middle eastern lady.  Shoot - I could not understand her english - much less her french.  I also had an asian man teaching statistics.  That was very hard for me - I loved stats but I truly did not understand a thing he said.  

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I read a book. Go Read a book. 

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Then there is also sight and site depending on what you mean, LOL. UGH. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)