Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kinda funny, but also ticked me off

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

So my dd is a server and works near where dh works.  Lots of people come to dd's work during lunch and in the evenings. 

Last night a group of men were at dd's table.  Sometimes easy to tell but she can't remember how it got brought up they worked where dh does so of course they asked her who her dad is.  He is a big shot so many times they know him even though a ton of people work there.  They were a little tipsy and one was hitting on here before all this happened too.  So they were like, Oh crap (not they didn't say crap).  One of them even works for dh, LOL.  Then one had the nerve to say to dd why did she work there (which has happened before).  They assume because we have money we will just support our kids I guess.  DD is turning 23 and has worked there almost 5 years.  Ticks me off when someone says this.  We made our way and our dd's will make their way as well.  Of course if we don't like to be 80's or 90's our dd's will have a nice retirement chunk of change probably.  Well, probably will anyway because when I am 80 dd will be 50.  At least they will have to make their way in the world. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Ugh.  See, my boss is just the opposite of you.  He's made his (small) fortune, and in the process, spoiled his 3 kids.  The oldest one, who worked with us for many years, until boss (daddy) retired, and someone else came in to run the company, and saw that the son didn't really *work*.  He's like 53 years old, and still has a sense of entitlement.  He called me once, about 2 years ago, had general questions regarding health insurance, that he thought I could answer.  In the course of the conversation, he said, "My mom is looking into insurance for me."  What?!?!  He was at least 50 already at the time....  and MOMMY had to look for insurance for him?  He's never learned how to take care of himself. 

Then "Daddy" asked me once about the "tough love" classes I took..... I told him it was a counselling group in my church.... his response was a very dejected, "Oh."   

louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I think letting them make their own way is the right way.  I agree with you.  If every once in a while you wanted to do something nice for them I think it's great but your approach to me is a good one.  Some people just don't have good sense.  :)

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Dh doesn't own the company. He works for a major world wide company. Unreal someone can mooch from parents their whole life!!

Quoting KittyGram:

Ugh.  See, my boss is just the opposite of you.  He's made his (small) fortune, and in the process, spoiled his 3 kids.  The oldest one, who worked with us for many years, until boss (daddy) retired, and someone else came in to run the company, and saw that the son didn't really *work*.  He's like 53 years old, and still has a sense of entitlement.  He called me once, about 2 years ago, had general questions regarding health insurance, that he thought I could answer.  In the course of the conversation, he said, "My mom is looking into insurance for me."  What?!?!  He was at least 50 already at the time....  and MOMMY had to look for insurance for him?  He's never learned how to take care of himself. 

Then "Daddy" asked me once about the "tough love" classes I took..... I told him it was a counselling group in my church.... his response was a very dejected, "Oh."    

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Jeanine on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM

What a bunch of idiots.  Alexandra sees all these college kids living off their parents money screwing around, not giving a crap what kind of grades they get.  When will those parents learn???  You are absolutely right to teach them to support themselves.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Good for you on having your kids do that,
too many are so spoiled these days.
I bet they enjoy the work as well ;)

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:15 AM
DD does enjoy serving and good money. She is outgoing and makes good tips.

Quoting hugss:

Good for you on having your kids do that,too many are so spoiled these days.I bet they enjoy the work as well ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM

That's great
My youngest also use to do that so I know how that can be ;)

Quoting atlmom2: DD does enjoy serving and good money. She is outgoing and makes good tips.
Quoting hugss:

Good for you on having your kids do that,too many are so spoiled these days.I bet they enjoy the work as well ;)

DixieL
by Dixie on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM

We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so three of four of us made our own way. Working is a good way to help self esteem, and it makes you know what you can do. I don't know why the guy said that to your daughter. They were just being dumb, because they were tipsy. I think it's great that your daughter is supporting herself financially. What will your husband think, about the guy that tried to pick up on your daughter?

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Good for you in teaching your DD to be self sufficient and pay her own way. To many kids these days feel entitled. Coddling them does not prepare them for the real world in any way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)