Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

News headlines

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM
  • 12 Replies

I was reading today that there was a student outside Pittsburgh that ran through the school stabbing and slashing students.  20 students were injured, 4 of them seriously.  What is wrong with our young people today that they feel the only way to solve their problems is to hurt someone else?  They said that we have had our first case of teens hitting people from behind in an attempt to knock them out.  They think that is fun?  High school students with weapons are shooting each other.  What would you do to stop this this?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this

OMGosh!!!  I hadn't heard this and of course the last few days I haven't really had a chance to watch the news or read the news.  That's just terrible.  I have no idea what is wrong with folks now.  I honestly don't and I also don't know what I'd do to stop it other than start making punishments harsher.  I do think jail and prison time is NOT what it should be.  I also think it's been that way for a LONG time.  Prison should be a deterrant.  NOT an opportunity to sit and watch tv or take classes or play cards.  If it were hard work and not comfortable with heat and AC it would make a difference.  Make them work to raise the food etc...ALL the food.  They would be too tired to go back in and fight or whatever and they wouldn't want to go back.  Just my opinion

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I agree.  Prison should be a punishment and not a spa vacation.

Quoting louannwilkins:

OMGosh!!!  I hadn't heard this and of course the last few days I haven't really had a chance to watch the news or read the news.  That's just terrible.  I have no idea what is wrong with folks now.  I honestly don't and I also don't know what I'd do to stop it other than start making punishments harsher.  I do think jail and prison time is NOT what it should be.  I also think it's been that way for a LONG time.  Prison should be a deterrant.  NOT an opportunity to sit and watch tv or take classes or play cards.  If it were hard work and not comfortable with heat and AC it would make a difference.  Make them work to raise the food etc...ALL the food.  They would be too tired to go back in and fight or whatever and they wouldn't want to go back.  Just my opinion

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my, if I knew the fix to this problem, I could probably lay claim to my 15 minutes of fame.  I too have to wonder what the thinking is behind these acts, but can offer no solutions for fixing it.  I do believe that so many of the principals that were taught to kids back when have been abandoned and that the kids today have been raised with less respect for others.  They no longer fear consequences which I think should be severe in these cases. 

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep close to my area. It has been on the news all day.

Half the people are oh well poor this & poor that, mental illness this & that. But we don't even know his reasoning yet. Kids are getting more & more violent, they are being talk for years their "feelings" are okay to express to the extreme ( yes have that awful temper tandrum for an hour, it is okay to feel this way ). We don't have punishments that fit the crimes anymore. Kids aren't getting disciplined most of the time anymore. Too many "friend" parents. I know one that no matter what warning signs there are for her son, she just keeps acting like he should be excused for everything though he knows right & wrong. Sure let him break windows in a business & he doesn't get in trouble. Sure, let him beat up kids at school & it is the principals fault for picking on him. THen what? Kill list...It was found by another student. Would he have followed through? Who knows, she had him in a rifle class at the time & he had his own gun. Plus if she had any ( I had stopped talking to her at this time, but I knew of the class he was in as it was questioned if her son could be stopped but there wasn't since at the time he had no history of anything major. Our gun class ran the class. But when the kill list happened at least she pulled him from it ). She got him excused, then moved to another school district for the next school year. It might be in his record, but no one else would know because he was young teen so his name was never disclosed in the newspaper when the story hit. Kids at the school knew, but moving to a new district got his slate wiped clean again. So now, what is going to be next? 

And the bully thing. Kids were bullied since the dawn of time. Why now is it a thought to go kill the school? Because someone else did it, it has always put it in their mind? LIke a bad virus that won't go away? I don't know but it is getting ridiculous.  

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM

There was a young man here in Ohio who shot and killed 3 classmates.  He got a life sentence.  He is now suing to get his sentence reduced because the sentence was unfair.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Yep close to my area. It has been on the news all day.

Half the people are oh well poor this & poor that, mental illness this & that. But we don't even know his reasoning yet. Kids are getting more & more violent, they are being talk for years their "feelings" are okay to express to the extreme ( yes have that awful temper tandrum for an hour, it is okay to feel this way ). We don't have punishments that fit the crimes anymore. Kids aren't getting disciplined most of the time anymore. Too many "friend" parents. I know one that no matter what warning signs there are for her son, she just keeps acting like he should be excused for everything though he knows right & wrong. Sure let him break windows in a business & he doesn't get in trouble. Sure, let him beat up kids at school & it is the principals fault for picking on him. THen what? Kill list...It was found by another student. Would he have followed through? Who knows, she had him in a rifle class at the time & he had his own gun. Plus if she had any ( I had stopped talking to her at this time, but I knew of the class he was in as it was questioned if her son could be stopped but there wasn't since at the time he had no history of anything major. Our gun class ran the class. But when the kill list happened at least she pulled him from it ). She got him excused, then moved to another school district for the next school year. It might be in his record, but no one else would know because he was young teen so his name was never disclosed in the newspaper when the story hit. Kids at the school knew, but moving to a new district got his slate wiped clean again. So now, what is going to be next? And the bully thing. Kids were bullied since the dawn of time. Why now is it a thought to go kill the school? Because someone else did it, it has always put it in their mind? LIke a bad virus that won't go away? I don't know but it is getting ridiculous.  

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, you always hear about "prisoner rights" What about the rights of their victims? INO in order o have rights, you should earn them.

Quoting louannwilkins:

Support cancer awareness here #mce_temp_url#

mrs.Emm1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I just heard Dr. Phil mention that we need to start with cracking down on cyberbullying.  I do think alot of the violence that goes on has it's roots in hateful posts online & parents unaware of what's going on with their kids. It's so sad that the young children are growing up in such a hostile world.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Evil kids need put away forvever.  This shows you don't need guns to cause havoc.  We had bullying when I young but we didn't go shooting anyone or stabbing anyone. 

caro100
by Carol on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this

No kidding, what is wrong with our youth, our society in general.  One of my friends who is gay, asked if I  was religious.  I replied that I was a believer in Jesus Christ and that I believe the bible.  He told me his respect for me went down about 10 degrees.  I said I couldn't help that and that it seemed that a lot of people who preach tolerance are the most intolerant.  I also pointed out that Jesus had nothing to say about homosexuality, so neither do I.  Jesus set aside a lot of the old testament teachings.  If he didnot address them I figure they aren't that important.

Update:  Did I just get off the subject?  Sorry.  Our society is really sliding into a hell of our own making.

nowynd
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Make parents contribute time and effort to the schools that their children attend.

Don't just put ratings on video games.  Stop making the violent ones. Violence is not fun or acceptable.

Start at home.  If you don't want your child to act the way the characters do in a tv show or movie, don't take them and don't take yourself to see it. 

Games and entertainment thrive on consumer support.  They thrive only on what the consumer purchases.  Use the last power we seem to have....purchasing power.

Basically, we as parents, need to start owning what goes on in our homes. 

As I was saying on a post in one of the other groups here...we are having to deal with a bm that is telling dss, "Nice people don't accomplish anything"  something like that.  When dh told me that, I had to laugh since bm is one of the most miserable people I have ever met...and she ain't nice!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)