Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Issue with my mother's bank account and maybe my son....

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have a son that just turned 22 this week. He lives with my mom because he goes to college nearby. Well she just called to tell me something was wrong with her bank acount. She went to the atm to withdraw some cash and the receipt shows less than her checkbook states and she's very vigilant with it. I told her to go to her bank and ask for a printout of her  transactions since her last statement. She did right away ans discovered a charge for xbox live of just under $60 and another for a game subscription. Both went through on my son's birthday. I asked her if she thought he took her card and she said no, that she was home all day that day. She is being defensive when i mention maybe my son did this. She said he has a job and pays for his own things. I don't don't know what else to think and I hate that I suspect my son. Otherwise maybe he account has been hacked.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I don't know about the game subscription but I wonder if he maybe asked to use her card to sign up for the live. Like it makes you have a card on file, and he was paying it himself, not realizing when the time was up. Xbox live is famous for setting up auto renews. And the game subscription, was it like game fly where maybe it was a free trial that ended? Just trying to think of other things. 

njt320
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Hmmm that's tough we would like to think we raised them right but it's hard they do stupid things sometimes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valkay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM
I would have her check his room to see if he has one. I also would find out where it was used. Could she have let him get his own gift from her and she has forgotten?
tcfla
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Not sure how old your mom is, but could she be getting forgetful and maybe she let him use her card for his birthday?  My mom is starting to get like that and she isn't very old.

mom23heathens
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM
That was my first thought but she said when all the target hacking happened over the holidays she went in and had them give her another card with a new number so I don't think it would go through on her new card would it? We tried to call my son but he's at work.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I don't know about the game subscription but I wonder if he maybe asked to use her card to sign up for the live. Like it makes you have a card on file, and he was paying it himself, not realizing when the time was up. Xbox live is famous for setting up auto renews. And the game subscription, was it like game fly where maybe it was a free trial that ended? Just trying to think of other things. 

MichelleMc
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM

No it wouldn't have worked in that case. I wonder if what the others are thinking is true. Did she say okay for his birthday & forget? I mean, if someone was going to be shady, you would think it would be something else. This is easily caught. 

Quoting mom23heathens: That was my first thought but she said when all the target hacking happened over the holidays she went in and had them give her another card with a new number so I don't think it would go through on her new card would it? We tried to call my son but he's at work.
Quoting MichelleMc:

Michelle,
Proud Mom toJonathan, Eagle & Vigil Scout and Army Soldier 
Proud Navy Submarine Vet Wife to Jake

mom23heathens
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM
She says she gave him $100 cash for his birthday last week. She's only 66 and although plenty grouchy I think she's fine. Like I said I hope he didn't do this. I can't stop wondering. Sheesh you think they grow up and leave it's over but it's not.

Quoting MichelleMc:

No it wouldn't have worked in that case. I wonder if what the others are thinking is true. Did she say okay for his birthday & forget? I mean, if someone was going to be shady, you would think it would be something else. This is easily caught. 

Quoting mom23heathens: That was my first thought but she said when all the target hacking happened over the holidays she went in and had them give her another card with a new number so I don't think it would go through on her new card would it? We tried to call my son but he's at work.

Quoting MichelleMc:

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I hope he is not ripping her off and there is some other explanation for it.

valkay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM
I miss read it the first time. I think she should be able to find out the address that the subscription was issued
caro100
by Carol on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Well,I hope it isn't your son, but obviously your mother doesn't even want to consider the possibility/  You could ask your son, but i wouldn't get to crappy about it,because of the way your mother is acting.  Frankly, the more I think about it, the more i would say, Huh, imagine that, dunno. And leave it at that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN