Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Kitchen Talk- 4/24/14- Do you have a vegetable garden?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:26 AM
  • 17 Replies

If so, what do you grow?

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:45 AM

not yet, and my experiment with regrowing celery, lettuce and onions isn't working.  The celery never rooted and the outer stalk got all moldy - yuck! it looked promising for a while though!  the romaine only "grew" about an inch, and just 2 leaves - no roots but a bunch of little nubs ??  The leaf lettuce is growing although very slowly and I'm not holding my breath.  The onions are good but the cats keep trying to eat them.

My friend, Lance, and I will be going to the farmer's market hopefully this weekend.  I will purchase organic celery and organic lettuce - I'm thinking perhaps the store-bought celery and lettuce are maybe treated with something to prevent rooting ??  My thoughts are perhaps the organic celery/lettuce from farmer's market aren't treated and hopefully will sprout roots.  I did pick up a bag of Miracle Grow and purchased a cheap plastic 3-shelf doohickey from WalMart last week so I can try growing something right outside my front door ... we'll see.  I have radish seeds, and leaf lettuce seeds.

harmony7
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:53 AM

We just turned ours up...this year Lettuce, Eggplant, Black Beans, Green Beans, greasy grit beans,  Crowder Peas, Blackeyed Peas, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Spaghetti Squash, cantalope, tomatoes, peppers, corn, basil, sage and okra.

* I have a lot to feed!

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:07 AM

If nothing else I have to have tomatoes!!  YUM

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:20 AM

I want to, but never seem to get around to it & all the work that goes a long with it. Between the deer & the ground hogs & everything else I would have to keep out from eating or stomping on everything. I just don't know where I would get the extra time. 

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Not yet but we started talking about it yesterday. Hubby is the gardener but with his fibro and chronic migraines (24/7), he just can't do it anymore. We are going to try our hand at containers on the deck. I can do good with non-food plants, but food plants ... poor little things. 

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM

That is a lot of my problems. Same problems as your husband, minus I do have my migraine triggers under somewhat control, so they are less. But, that & working what I do ( from home, sitting in a computer chair but it is mentally draining ), I just can't seem to get a lot done. Spring & summer coming, the yard cutting is enough to get done. 

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Not yet but we started talking about it yesterday. Hubby is the gardener but with his fibro and chronic migraines (24/7), he just can't do it anymore. We are going to try our hand at containers on the deck. I can do good with non-food plants, but food plants ... poor little things. 

Michelle,
Proud Mom toJonathan, Eagle & Vigil Scout and Army Soldier 
Proud Navy Submarine Vet Wife to Jake

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Yep, we love to garden. We have to put up fences so the deer don't get into it, but the fruits of our labors are always good.  We plant onions, tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, parsnips, beets, potatoes, and other things. Each year we try to grow something new, I think hubby picked okra this year. We also have peach trees and blueberry and blackberry bushes in the yard. We lost our apple tree so we may have to replace that. Hubby loves working in the garden and I love cooking up the fresh veggies that we get.

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Sorry to hear that you have the same issues. We pay a guy to mow the yard so at least that gets done. He is determined this year. He has started "walking" (electric wheelchair) our dog (he does this in warm weather) this week.

Good luck on your gardening. =)

Quoting MichelleMc:

That is a lot of my problems. Same problems as your husband, minus I do have my migraine triggers under somewhat control, so they are less. But, that & working what I do ( from home, sitting in a computer chair but it is mentally draining ), I just can't seem to get a lot done. Spring & summer coming, the yard cutting is enough to get done. 

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I wish!!!  I live in a busy Chicago suburb, in a 3rd floor condo!  No place to have a garden.  : (

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I wish! I tried years ago. We have animals that dig up plants in our yard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)