Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Anyone have advice for nightmares?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • 26 Replies

My daughter who is almost 21 is battling with nightly (nightmares). She has had these for awhile and is going to start seeing a psychologist soon but was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this and welcome any ideas to help her. I was thinking just yesterday about maybe getting her a CD that has those sounds of ocean playing and having her play that before she goes to bed.She doesn't sleep well at night and is going to school fulltime and not getting enough sleep because she is afraid to sleep due to these nightmares. She also wakes up in a full body sweat some nights. She is also battling depression and anxiety too which she just started new meds for about 5 weeks ago. We don't know why she is having them. There was not any traumatic event in her past that I can think would cause this.Having these nightmares are making her more depressed..Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM

I am sorry, I have no advice really. My youngest (now 16) used to have night terrors when he was little, there was nothing we could do but wait them out and comfort him afterwards.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Did the nightmares start when she started the new meds?

143myboys9496
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I have the same question as Cindy, did they start after the new medications? 

Is it the same nightmare or same 2 or does it have the same theme? 

dixie123514
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Respiradol is a medicine used to help with nightmares.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't eat anything after 7pm. Don't take in caffeine after noon. Melatonin will regulate her sleep cycles, but too much will give weird dreams. There are alot of anti depressants and anti anxieties on the market. She may have to try alot of different ones to find the right fit.
mommytojaxon
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Check her hormone levels. Sounds like that may be the culprit. Lh, estrogen, testosterone, fsh, the works! Check them all.
mommytojaxon
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Oh, and a lot of anxiety and night sweats are a result of hormonal issues as opposed to serotonin re uptake issues. Most people don't realize that because increasing serotonin works for most people but it doesn't take care of the reason why the person has anxiety and depression. Taking a tylenol when you have a headache makes your headache go away but it doesn't mean the cause of your headache is a deficiency of tylenol in your body. Hope that makes sense and helps.
redneck_kids
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Husband takes meds for his nightmares. Good luck.

luvnoah10
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Never thought of that...will definately ask her doctor to prescribe lab workup Thx!

Quoting mommytojaxon: Check her hormone levels. Sounds like that may be the culprit. Lh, estrogen, testosterone, fsh, the works! Check them all.

luvnoah10
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM

If you don't mind me asking..what the med called and does it work well for him?

Quoting redneck_kids:

Husband takes meds for his nightmares. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)