• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

History of CafeMom

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  • 21 Replies
I found this interesting, and enjoyed reading it.

CafeMom was founded in 2006 by Michael Sanchez and Andrew Shue. In 1999, the childhood friends established CMI Marketing and subsequently ClubMom, the predecessor to CafeMom. ClubMom was a web site that provided parenting information in the form of blogs, articles and message boards. It also organized a shopping rewards program with sponsors. [3][7] ClubMom ran until 2007, when CMI Marketing ended the website in order to focus on their sister site by the name of CafeMom.[7]

The idea of CafeMom originated with Andrew Shue when he became a father and he saw how his wife counted on other mothers for support and information. Shue realized that there was a need for mothers to share and talk with other women and there was nothing out there that was bringing them together [8] [9]

CMI Marketing put together ideas of how the CafeMom website would look and function by looking at features of other social networking sites. The company then took these ideas and simplified them when creating CafeMom.[8]

CafeMom went live on November 15, 2006.[10] Many original ClubMom members were encouraged to join the newly formed social networking site CafeMom in order to help it succeed.[8]
by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by Amber on May. 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM
I do now remember getting the invite from ClubMom to join CafeMom. :).
.Holly.
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I remember watching Andrew on Melrose Place.
Ambear72
by Amber on May. 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I also remember ClubMom sent out fife cards to people for $5 for Bed Bath and Beyond. Mine was blue with a rubber ducky on it. I lost it and about 2-3 years later I found it again and was surprised when it was still good when I tried using it.

.Holly.
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM
They need to change their wiki page, said they went live December 2006, not November. Lol
Ambear72
by Amber on May. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Yea me too, and he is Elizabeth Shue's brother. She was the girlfriend on Karate Kid :). I love the memories this is bringing back.

Quoting .Holly.: I remember watching Andrew on Melrose Place.
.Holly.
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Yep

Quoting Ambear72: Yea me too, and he is Elizabeth Shue's brother. She was the girlfriend on Karate Kid :). I love the memories this is bringing back.

Quoting .Holly.: I remember watching Andrew on Melrose Place.
Ambear72
by Amber on May. 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Yeah I saw that.

Quoting .Holly.: They need to change their wiki page, said they went live December 2006, not November. Lol
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM

How cool :)

caro100
by on May. 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM

I saw this I don't remember where.  I was surprised it was men who put it together

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 6:07 AM

I did know this. I didn't know all the timeline.

Thanks for sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)