Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Vacation Prep

Posted by on May. 31, 2014 at 11:55 PM
  • 20 Replies
I'm getting ready to leave for our trip this week and it got me thinking, how do you prepare to go on trips? Do you make sure the house is clean and all appliances unplugged? It dibyoubjust pack and go?
by on May. 31, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by Amber on May. 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM
We are having someone come twice a day to let the dogs in and out. We have one dog that. Chews everything! (Last night she chewed 2 diollar Bills!! So we have to make sure nothing. Is on the floor.

Quoting Ambear72: I'm getting ready to leave for our trip this week and it got me thinking, how do you prepare to go on trips? Do you make sure the house is clean and all appliances unplugged? It dibyoubjust pack and go?
143myboys9496
by Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to board my dog. She's older now, doesn't walk too well, so I don't think I'd board her. This is the 2nd year we've not taken a week as a family. Dh and I are getting away for 3 nights. My yds wouldn't DARE go with us, so he'll be responsible for the dog.

I try to clean the house before we go, if I can't then I just try to make it as straight as I can, and at least clean the bathrooms, wipe counters etc. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jun. 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM

It depends on how long I know I'll be gone.  My neighbor took care of my cats for me when I went to Japan last summer for 3-1/2 weeks.

when I went to CA a few years ago for my son's surgery/recovery, my daughter took the cats to her place and became their foster mom for a few weeks.  When I got back, she didn't want to give them up and kept them for about a year which was fine by me!    I shut the breakers off to everything except my refrigerator that time!

As far as packing goes, I typically "dibyoubjust pack and go".  lol.  I make a list in advance to make certain I'm not forgetting anything and check it off as I pack.

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I have to make a list when I pack, otherwise I'll forget half the stuff I need to take. I clean the house and we unplug most most of the appliances.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

The house is usually fairly clean.  Sometimes clothes are everywhere from deciding what to pack.  Never thought about unplugging appliances ever.  We always put lights on so it looks like someone is home upstairs and downstairs. 

LIke you, we have a dog that we usually leave here and have a friend come in.  She lets her out 4 times a day though.  If we are going to MIL's we take the dog with us.  Our dog is crated when we are not around though especially when we are on vacation. 

rosebud727
by Rose on Jun. 1, 2014 at 12:28 PM

We will have friends come by and get the mail, feed the cats. We do unplug appliances and have some lights on timers so that it doesn't look like we left the lights on.

When I pack I usually make a list of what I want to bring. I'm a notorious over-packer.

suesues
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

make list then clean house and do laundry then pack

DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 1, 2014 at 5:29 PM

If my husband and I go somewhere, our son and daughter-in-law are still here, but we don't turn everything off. We just pack our stuff, make sure everything if off in our bedroom and bathroom and go. I hate to be gone long, because Buddy, our dog gets really depressed. Jason and Amanda love the cats most, so they don't pay much attention to Buddy.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

The house is usually fairly clean.  Sometimes clothes are everywhere from deciding what to pack.  Never thought about unplugging appliances ever.  We always put lights on so it looks like someone is home upstairs and downstairs. 

LIke you, we have a dog that we usually leave here and have a friend come in.  She lets her out 4 times a day though.  If we are going to MIL's we take the dog with us.  Our dog is crated when we are not around though especially when we are on vacation. 

It's a good idea, having the lights set, so it looks like someone is always home.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Quoting suesues:

make list then clean house and do laundry then pack

My husband makes lists all the time for everything. Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)