Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bathroom-Themed Restaurant Goes Down the Drain

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM
  • 10 Replies

Bathroom-Themed Restaurant Goes Down the Drain

by Rebecca Stokes

toilet restaurant closesWhelp. After less than a year in the game, L.A.'s Magic Restroom Cafe has officially pooped out and closed its doors to diner- and bathroom-lovers everywhere. In case you missed it, Magic Restroom was America's first bathroom-themed cafe. You heard me, this was an eatery designed to make you think about the bathroom and everything that goes on therein as you dined on food. Mmmmmm, sweet, sweet bowel movements. 

Is it surprising to anyone that this restaurant didn't make it in the world of food service? After all, the restaurant world is already intensely cutthroat. Few new eateries make it in the long term, and they aren't even places begging you to think about crap while you're eating chocolate mousse. Why did they even open this place to begin with? Well, we sort of know that. These bathroom-themed places are in fact pretty popular overseas. 

But themed restaurants are huge in other parts of the world that don't exist here! Exhibit Japan's mayonnaise-themed restaurants. I can't see an American audience getting into that in a big way. And if Americans aren't going to eat at a place dedicated to celebrating a condiment, why on earth would we hunker down at a place that served drinks out of urinals and desserts called something like 'bloody number two'? 

I consider myself to be an aficionado of all things odd, and even I would give this place a super wide berth. Doing kooky and wacky things with food is fine, but being reminded about what eventually happens to all the food we put into our body as we eat it? That's just repulsive. Give me a mayo-themed restaurant any day. Still, you'd think for the weird-factor alone, it might have thrived for at least a year with customers just coming to check it out and take photos. 

Are you surprised this place closed?

Would you ever eat at a bathroom themed restaurant?

Have you ever eaten at a themed restaurant?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you surprised this place closed? Not a bit

Would you ever eat at a bathroom themed restaurant? Hell no, that is just disgusting

Have you ever eaten at a themed restaurant? No but I would like to try one of those medieval ones.

Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't usually eat in the bathroom.  I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did.  I don't believe that I have ever eaten in a themed restaurant.

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Not surprised!!!  Ewww!!!!!!!

DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM

That doesn't surprise me that it closed down. It seem's kind of a strange theme to me. I would have eaten at it, as long as it was clean. I haven't ever eaten at one. I haven't even heard of a restaurant like that.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Quoting LadySaphira:

Are you surprised this place closed? Not a bit

Would you ever eat at a bathroom themed restaurant? Hell no, that is just disgusting

Have you ever eaten at a themed restaurant? No but I would like to try one of those medieval ones.

I've eaten at a medieval restaurant. When we lived in California, there was a medieval faire, that we would go to every year. It was really fun.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Quoting KittyGram:

Not surprised!!!  Ewww!!!!!!!

I agree. That sounds like a really strange theme for anything, let alone a restaurant. Lol.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Eww....no I haven't and no I wouldn't  lol

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Eww gross
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:07 AM

not a bit,
Would never eat there, LOL
Never ate at a themed restaurant :)

caro100
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:23 AM

Can't imagine why anyone thought that was a good idea.  Bathroom and eating...Yeah, I would so not DOO that, pun intended.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)