Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My House

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM
  • 19 Replies

I tried to sell my house a few years ago so I could move closer to my parents and siblings.  I only had it on the market for 6 months then took it off for the winter.  When I wanted to put it back on, it appraised at $20,000 less than what I owed.  The house is a single family, 5 bedroom home.  It's on a hill and when it was on the market, the hill was the issue. It's just too big for me now physically and financially.  When I bought it with my ex we had 8 people living in it at any given time.  Now it's me and my DS7 basically although DS21 has a room and "lives" with us, but we never see him. 

Yesterday I'm talking to a co-worker about finding her a house in my town.  She seems eager to move into the town.  She told me about houses smaller than mine, but are asking way too much.  I just want out of my house and willing to take a small loss.  I told her my price and it's $10,000 less than the houses they've been looking at, but $9,000 more than their top price they want to pay. I would love to sell for what I owe (which is still $3,000 more than their top price).  It needs work so I would consider their top price and pay the $3,000 difference if they paid all closing costs, etc.  Neither of us is working with a realtor.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but this would be so awesome.  I need something much smaller financially so I can start paying on my high debt.

Wish me luck!!

fingers crossed

~ * ~ Karen ~ * ~ Momof3gr8boyz

jugglingtea

by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto3B
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Selling/buying a new home can be very stressful. Best of luck - I will have my fingers crossed for you. 

LAMARQ
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Thank you.  

Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish you luck.

LAMARQ
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Thanks.  This will be such a burden off my shoulders.  My dad wants me to just walk away from it, but I can't.  I've worked hard for my excellant credit rating. I'm not destitute... I pay all my bills on time and we live comfortably, but there's not a lot of $$$ left over each month for extras and splurges.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck! Hope it goes well!

I hear ya on what you are trying to do. I will be selling my house and the market is so bad where it is that everyone is pretty much taking losses when they sell. I do not want to use a realtor either. More $$ for me! I have had three families look at it and two of them decided they didn't like the school district (it was one of the reasons I started homeschooling my youngest after my other three went there) and decided to find homes elsewhere or stay where they were.

Mine is completely paid for and I need the money for a down payment on a house in the area we are in now. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

good luck!

LAMARQ
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Good luck to you too.

Quoting LEK19:

Good Luck! Hope it goes well!

I hear ya on what you are trying to do. I will be selling my house and the market is so bad where it is that everyone is pretty much taking losses when they sell. I do not want to use a realtor either. More $$ for me! I have had three families look at it and two of them decided they didn't like the school district (it was one of the reasons I started homeschooling my youngest after my other three went there) and decided to find homes elsewhere or stay where they were.

Mine is completely paid for and I need the money for a down payment on a house in the area we are in now. 

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like it it really work for both of you. I hope it does!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Selling a house is stressful enough.  lol  Good luck to you and please let us know how it turns out   :)

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean.  I sold in 2012 and took a 10% loss on what I paid for it.  At the end of the day, I think the main thing is is the sale achieving what you want to do and can you live comfortably.  Sounds like to me this would be a great opportunity for you to do just that.  I hope it all goes well for you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)