Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

19 ds trying to find his way..

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM
  • 26 Replies
My 19 ds is trying to find his way in this world and has no idea what he wants to do. He is taking classes at community college but I hate to waste money on classes that may not transfer towards a degree. He says no to military, he works 25-30 hours a week at a sandwich shop. How do you help them find their direction? Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Sometimes it is later.  I went to medical assisting school after I got married at 23.  Many people change careers around 30 or even 40.  It is hard to know at 19.  This is why many kids change majors in college 2 or 3 times. 

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
When I stopped paying for my sons college.....that's when he focused.
njt320
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM
He is passing just doesn't want to do the major he choose

Quoting EireLass: When I stopped paying for my sons college.....that's when he focused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Neither did Josh
Quoting njt320: He is passing just doesn't want to do the major he choose

Quoting EireLass: When I stopped paying for my sons college.....that's when he focused.
louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think he's still too young to possible KNOW exactly what he wants to do.  I mean, at 19 I thought about all kinds of things.  I think in time they all will find their way but they need to do it themselves.  I worked and had no handouts of any kind.  Believe me, I thought it was horrible!!  LOL  At that time I was too young and immature to realize my parents wanted me to stand on my own two feet and figure things out.  lol  Keep trying to guide him and make him be accountable for himself.  Keep us posted  :)

njt320
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM
He is really introverted. I am not used to a quiet kid who doesn't communicate a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Albee618
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM

How fortunate that he can work at a sandwich shop. With a 19 yr old on a 4 year college scholarship, but with no work, and 18 yr old twin boys just graduated and no summer jobs and I have onlly my retirement income, these boys would love to have a job. One of the twins is special educ. catagory, one  ADHD, and the 19 yr old has clinical depression.  None of them really knows what they want. The 19 year old wants to be a standup comedian, but is majoring in linguistics.  The twins are very different. One has enrolled in community college for fall and has two small pell grants (thank goodness), The special needs twin is going on a mission for one week to Alaska to build a community building for the Aleutian Indians there, and is hoping to stay there getting work on a fishing boat. My question to any in the community is:  Is is possible for him to get a job in Alaska and a safe place to stay where he won't get taken advantage of?

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey he is taking classes and working. I say that's good. I wish mine was. He will find his way.

njt320
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Yeah if only the knew the value of an education these days... Ugh the job market sucks!!!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Hey he is taking classes and working. I say that's good. I wish mine was. He will find his way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM

What are his interests?
Does he like kids?  Numbers/math/science?
Start with that :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)