Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do YOU Sleep With Your Pets?

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM
  • 47 Replies

Co-Sleeping With Your Pets Could Ruin Your Life

by Adriana Velez

dog in bedYou know that phrase, "don't knock it 'til you've tried it"? Well, you're going to want to pull that phrase out of your back pocket, because I'm about to knock something many people hold dear to their hearts: Sleeping with animals. I'm not talking about co-sleeping with toddlers. I'm talking about sleeping with your dogs and cats. HOW? How do you do this? I can understand a small dog or a cat snoozing at the foot of your bed, on top of the covers. But people who sleep with their pets next to them, under the covers. Ugh! That sounds like the worst -- and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Science backs me up.

1. Co-sleeping with animals disturbs your sleep. A new survey found that 63 percent of people who sleep with their pets more than four nights a week have poor sleep quality. Doesn't matter if it's cats or dogs, animals will disturb your sleep. On the other hand, some people claim they feel comforted by the warm presence of their pets so close. Maybe it's worth the disruptions?

2. Sharing a bed with your pets can kill you. No really! The CDC says animals can pass on lethal diseases like MRSA when you sleep with them or let them lick you or when you kiss them.

3. Pets shed. So do humans, but we don't have hair all over our bodies. How do pet co-sleepers deal with this? Do you wash your sheets every day, or do you just get used to a hairy bed? 

4. Animals smell funky. No matter how clean they are, animals have a certain smell, and I do not want to sleep with that smell in my nose. But who knows, maybe pet owners love the smell of their animals. But dog and cat smell is not my idea of nighttime aromatherapy.

5. It's hard enough to sleep with other humans. I'm kind of a light sleeper, so when the person next to me rolls over, snores, even sighs sometimes, I wake up. Adding an animal to the mix just means more waking up. And if I had to choose between the two, I'm going with the human.

Do you sleep with your pets? Do you think it's a good idea?

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no pets.  My son and daughter in law sleep with all of them.  They have four cats and a dog.  I tried it once and decided that I didn't like it so I never did it again.

MichelleMc
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Sure. They are the babies. LOL. They don't always sleep with us, but they do at times. When my husband worked 3rd shift, it was a for sure. 

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Husband says no pets on furniture and definately not on the bed.

My Weimeraner is sleeping on the couch right now.

The Malinois slinks onto the foot of my bed at night. 

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, our cats sleep on the bed with us. Our dogs sleep on some blankets I lay on the floor for them.  Since I was about 18-19 yo I've always had a cat that slept in the bed with me,some like to snuggle or sleep on top of me. Its never bothered my sleeping pattern,in fact sometimes hearing my cat purr in my ear helps me go to sleep. But then I'm just an animal lover so I tend to think of them as furry little people.

And yes I change my sheets and blankets quite often because they do shed.

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Smokey sleeps with me sometimes. But usually at the foot of the bed. When I fall asleep on the couch, which is pretty much her bed, she sleeps either on top of me or next to my head.

Chloe on the other hand slept with me every night, using my arm as her pillow, or on top of me.
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never tried sleeping with my cats under my blankets before.  Curently I'm in the cat snoozing at the foot of your bed, on top of the covers category.  lol.  And most nights they don't even stay there all night. In cold weather, Mia likes to burrow herself under my top blanket for warmth but has never tried to do that when it's my bedtime. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I have no pets and see no harm in letting a pet sleep on your bed. There is always going to be some "study" out there somewhere, that will be skewed to someone's position on any mater whether it be co-sleeping with a kid/animal, spanking, foods we eat, music we listen to, video games, or anything else.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves what is best for them and to heck with all the "studies"

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

lucky for you there have been no studies regarding married middle-aged women with children cavorting about with a dozen or more Army Men ...   ;o)

Quoting LadySaphira:

I have no pets and see no harm in letting a pet sleep on your bed. There is always going to be some "study" out there somewhere, that will be skewed to someone's position on any mater whether it be co-sleeping with a kid/animal, spanking, foods we eat, music we listen to, video games, or anything else.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves what is best for them and to heck with all the "studies"

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM
3 moms liked this

There probably is, it just hasn't been made public yet. Maybe I should conduct one myself LOL

Quoting suzeebloch:

lucky for you there have been no studies regarding married middle-aged women with children cavorting about with a dozen or more Army Men ...   ;o)

Quoting LadySaphira:

Support cancer awareness here #mce_temp_url#

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Quoting LadySaphira:

Well said!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN