Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

So What Happens to Them?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM
  • 23 Replies

There have been many posts in the seven years I have been a CM member from mothers at their wit's end regarding the drugs/drinking/losing jobs/irresponsible behaviour of their teen or young adult children, especially boys.  

For those who have gone through this and they are now older, or have friends or family who have dealth with this type of situation, how did it turn out?  Did these kids turn their lives around, or did they become someone who always struggled with addiction and/or making ends meet?   

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My one uncle ended up drinking forever.  He was abusive, worked quite a while but finally was fired.  Got cancer and ended up putting alcohol in his feeding tube instead of food and ended up dying in his 50's.  He went to rehab too many times to count.  Even his work paid for it.  Other uncles were alcoholics too but not as bad as the one I described.  They functioned pretty much. 

harmony7
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband was a preachers kid wild child...and for more than half our marriage he continued but one day he laid it all down and began to rebuild a relationship with his kids and family...he is completely and totally changed.

My oldest was my "black sheep"..he left home at 17 and had a felony for drug traffiking but today at 33 years old he is sober and has his own business that does Very well for him...He has come home with an apology and with the realization that he was always loved just not always loveable.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 28yo and has had problems since her teens with drugs and alcohol. The last few years she has been trying her darndest to get her life together but she has trouble being a leader and tends to let her friends and SO influence her to much.  But she continues to go forward and I pray for her every night.

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Hopefully they turned themselves around :)

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG! He put alcohol in his feeding tube!! Is that when he died?

Quoting atlmom2:

My one uncle ended up drinking forever.  He was abusive, worked quite a while but finally was fired.  Got cancer and ended up putting alcohol in his feeding tube instead of food and ended up dying in his 50's.  He went to rehab too many times to count.  Even his work paid for it.  Other uncles were alcoholics too but not as bad as the one I described.  They functioned pretty much. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Nope, he did that for quite a while.  Ended up hitting his head at some point and not recovering so really the alcoholism contributed to his death but didn't kill him.  Neither did the cancer. 

Quoting Cindy18:

OMG! He put alcohol in his feeding tube!! Is that when he died?

Quoting atlmom2:

Ambear72
by Amber on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is still not doing well. He is living about 275 miles away, He barely calls or sends us any Messages on FB. It's like we don't exist. I did read that he isn't doing to good, but I don't know why.
louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had quite a few problems with my bio son.  I've never really discussed all of his issues.  He does have emotional / mental type issues now as well.  At one point he ended up having problems with pain pills after having tons of kidney stones and also having to have knee surgery.  Now I'm pretty sure he's moved on to "other" things.  It totally breaks my heart into.  But...what can I do?  I've finally learned that I can't control it or fix it.  I gave it to God or have tried to and I pray for him several times everyday.  I would have probably lost my sanity by now were it not for my relationship to God.  It truly helps get me through each day

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I am so sorry,Lou ann.  Hugs to you. 

Quoting louannwilkins:

I've had quite a few problems with my bio son.  I've never really discussed all of his issues.  He does have emotional / mental type issues now as well.  At one point he ended up having problems with pain pills after having tons of kidney stones and also having to have knee surgery.  Now I'm pretty sure he's moved on to "other" things.  It totally breaks my heart into.  But...what can I do?  I've finally learned that I can't control it or fix it.  I gave it to God or have tried to and I pray for him several times everyday.  I would have probably lost my sanity by now were it not for my relationship to God.  It truly helps get me through each day

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I went thru stuff with my daughter before CM - actually, I found CM when I had guardianship of my granddaughters, when googling grandparents raising grandchildren groups - you all know how she "turned out" - I couldn't be prouder of her!  She's really turned her life around.  

However, not that they're from CM, but I've known of plenty of people who's addictions never ceased, and even some that have killed them.  Most recently, my ex's 32 year old niece died in February, due to "huffing". She certainly had no fear of trying new "things" (can't say "drugs", because "huffing" isn't actually "doing" a drug).  She had one of those personalities where, she just "needed" to be high or feel "no pain".  Unfortunately, she didn't survive one of her experiments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN