Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Curve ball

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 26 Replies

DD 20 just told me she wants to marry a couple weeks after she graduates college, in 2 years.  I was hoping and thought they were gonna wait another year or at least until fall after she graduates.  What if she can't find a job right away?  Well, what till dh finds out her plans??  She only told me.  Her boyfriend is in the Marines by the way if you didn't already know. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think I would worry to much about it. Two years is a long time and things could change.

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I would support my daughter in wanting to be with the one she loves.   Why would your husband would be upset ?   

If she doesn't have a job right after they get married,  they will deal with it.    Her fiance' is in a good career and I am sure he will take care of things...     

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM

That is a very long engagement. I think that is extremely long personally, but I know you guys are for it. As other said, if she can't find a job right away, I am sure they will be just fine. Plus, finding a job right away & then possibly wanting to already want time off for a honeymoon, if she is planning that, wouldn't work well anyway

I would hope your husband isn't going to throw a fit, there is no need to. They have already been in a long relationship & that is 2 more years, that is PLENTY long enough. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't get me wrong.  We love him and they have been dating 3 years now.  It is just the marines don't pay anything really and it would be so much better if they waited.  But what do parents and adults know??? 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM

LOL  Yea, what do parents and adults know???   LOL  Isn't that what we thought too?  lol  At least it's with someone you all know well and she does too and at least it's not right away. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 15, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Quoting MichelleMc:

That is a very long engagement. I think that is extremely long personally, but I know you guys are for it. As other said, if she can't find a job right away, I am sure they will be just fine. Plus, finding a job right away & then possibly wanting to already want time off for a honeymoon, if she is planning that, wouldn't work well anyway

I would hope your husband isn't going to throw a fit, there is no need to. They have already been in a long relationship & that is 2 more years, that is PLENTY long enough. 

Most jobs out of college don't start until June or July.  Dh accepted his job in April and started in July.  My nephew accepted his job in October and didn't start till the last week in July.  They are just so young.  Well we were too but at least dh worked several months before we married.  I know their whole relationship has been long distance and that is the reason they want to marry.  With the marines they can't live together unless they marry.  Dumb rule I say.  I guess that is why so many military marry young.  Most of her boyfriends friends are 20 and married already in the Marines.  At least they will be 23 and 22 when they marry.  They won't have to pay for a honeymoon.  They can honeymoon in our house in FL for free. 

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Yeah, that is older to get married. Sounds like he has been in a while, not bad. I wouldn't trade our time in the military to anything anyone else could have given me. Might not be the "level" your husband is thinking, but he shouldn't be thinking that way. 

And you are saying at least DH worked several months before you got married, her fiance is already there & well past a few months. This is also 2 years from now. So, he will be even higher ranked, if that is a big concern. Shouldn't be, but seems to be. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting MichelleMc:

Most jobs out of college don't start until June or July.  Dh accepted his job in April and started in July.  My nephew accepted his job in October and didn't start till the last week in July.  They are just so young.  Well we were too but at least dh worked several months before we married.  I know their whole relationship has been long distance and that is the reason they want to marry.  With the marines they can't live together unless they marry.  Dumb rule I say.  I guess that is why so many military marry young.  Most of her boyfriends friends are 20 and married already in the Marines.  At least they will be 23 and 22 when they marry.  They won't have to pay for a honeymoon.  They can honeymoon in our house in FL for free. 

Michelle,
Proud Mom toJonathan, Eagle & Vigil Scout and Army Soldier 
Proud Navy Submarine Vet Wife to Jake

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM

She may change her mind,
Two years is a bit of time.
Let us know what your Dh has to say :)

caro100
by Carol on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:20 AM
It's too soon to worry about. Two years is a long engagement. If he is in the marines after they marry it may be difficult to sustain a job if he gets moved a lot. Thank him for his service when you talk with him next please.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM

They are not engaged yet.  That is probably coming this fall or Christmas.  I know what it is like to move.  We are not military but moved 9 times since we have been married.  At least dd is used to it.  Thanks for thanking him. 

Quoting caro100: It's too soon to worry about. Two years is a long engagement. If he is in the marines after they marry it may be difficult to sustain a job if he gets moved a lot. Thank him for his service when you talk with him next please.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)