Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Our Wisconsin trip

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM
  • 45 Replies

Here it is, about a week and a half since we got back, and I'm finally now posting some pics!!!  I'm not sure if I'll have time to post all of them now, but if not, will be back later to add some.

Here are my goofy grandkids, at the very start of the trip.  You can see a little construction behind them.... I90 is torn up from Elgin to Rockford.... construction started last year, and won't be done till I think 2016.  That's a lot of $$$ there.

At the Illinois/Wisconsin border!  Just an hour and a half into the trip, with about 6 hours of driving time yet before we made it to my sister's.

We arrived at about 4:45, Saturday afternoon.  That night, we went out for Chinese buffet with a lot of my family members and an old high school friend and her husband.  No pics of dinner available!

Next day, my sister and BIL took us out on their boat.  It was a beautiful day!  Just look at that sky!!!!  Practically no clouds in sight.  

That's me on the dock, my BIL and grandkids in the boat.

Me, Riley, and my sister.  See that gorgeous sky?!?!  We were out for about 3 hours maybe?  Kids did a little fishing.  

Next day, Monday, we went to Copper Falls, which is about an hour and a half further north.  It was a bit overcast, and we had a few raindrops on the way, but while we were out there, there was no rain.  The mosquitos were horrendous.  The views were spectacular!!!  Due to the mosquitos, we hiked the trail (1.7 miles), but didn't go to the observation tower.  I wish we had, but Oliver and Collin (my great nephew) had become dinner for many of those mosquitos, and they weren't having a good time at all anymore.

My niece Jodie and her son, along with me and the grandkiddos.  Jodie's a good 8 inches taller than I am!!!  See, she has to stoop to my level!!!!  : )

Another view of the falls (there are a couple of them there).

I have no idea what Oliver was doing in this photo!!!!

More water....

Ugh. Don't mind my sweat-laden hair and face... this is me and my daughter.  She's into selfies lately, too, just like her daughter Riley!!!!

Ramona, with mosquito guts on her hand.  Riley insists she killed 52 of them.... I think she lost count somewhere along the way, because I'm sure she killed more than that!!

More water.....

... and some more.....

On the way back to my sister's..............

Tuesday we headed back home... and on the way, we stopped in Wisconsin Dells to see my brother.   That's him way in the background.  Oliver loves Zoe!!!!  I don't know what kind of doggie Zoe is, but she's about 5 years old, and she's tiny and loveable!!!!

And here we are back at the border, about an hour and a half away from home.

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are some really nifty pictures.  I'd say you enjoyed your stay.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Those picture are beautiful. I'm glad you had a good time. I love how blue the water and the sky were. Those pictures were amazing. I'm very glad you had a good time, but glad you are home safe and sound.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Love the pictures!

Did you all use any bug repellent for the mosquitoes or doesn't it work?

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Bmat:

Love the pictures!

Did you all use any bug repellent for the mosquitoes or doesn't it work?

We used a lot of it.... before and during our hike.  It was Deepwoods Off, and it really didn't deter them very much.  The mosquitos are just very very bad up there this year.  And they're big, too!

jlsjjsmom
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM

We love it up in Wisconsin! Our older ds lives in the Madison area - we just visited him a couple weeks ago. In October we're going up to the Baraboo area for the 2nd year in a row and stay in the same bed and breakfast. It's right near Devil's Lake. Hope to get more hiking in than we did last year - it was cold and rainy then. It takes us about 2 hours to get to the WI border (we're in the Peoria area). When we go visit Jason we head straight up I39. I've never been as far north as you were - perhaps one day!

Quoting KittyGram:

Here it is, about a week and a half since we got back, and I'm finally now posting some pics!!!  I'm not sure if I'll have time to post all of them now, but if not, will be back later to add some.

Here are my goofy grandkids, at the very start of the trip.  You can see a little construction behind them.... I90 is torn up from Elgin to Rockford.... construction started last year, and won't be done till I think 2016.  That's a lot of $$$ there.

At the Illinois/Wisconsin border!  Just an hour and a half into the trip, with about 6 hours of driving time yet before we made it to my sister's.

We arrived at about 4:45, Saturday afternoon.  That night, we went out for Chinese buffet with a lot of my family members and an old high school friend and her husband.  No pics of dinner available!

Next day, my sister and BIL took us out on their boat.  It was a beautiful day!  Just look at that sky!!!!  Practically no clouds in sight.  

That's me on the dock, my BIL and grandkids in the boat.

Me, Riley, and my sister.  See that gorgeous sky?!?!  We were out for about 3 hours maybe?  Kids did a little fishing.  

Next day, Monday, we went to Copper Falls, which is about an hour and a half further north.  It was a bit overcast, and we had a few raindrops on the way, but while we were out there, there was no rain.  The mosquitos were horrendous.  The views were spectacular!!!  Due to the mosquitos, we hiked the trail (1.7 miles), but didn't go to the observation tower.  I wish we had, but Oliver and Collin (my great nephew) had become dinner for many of those mosquitos, and they weren't having a good time at all anymore.

My niece Jodie and her son, along with me and the grandkiddos.  Jodie's a good 8 inches taller than I am!!!  See, she has to stoop to my level!!!!  : )

Another view of the falls (there are a couple of them there).

I have no idea what Oliver was doing in this photo!!!!

More water....

Ugh. Don't mind my sweat-laden hair and face... this is me and my daughter.  She's into selfies lately, too, just like her daughter Riley!!!!

Ramona, with mosquito guts on her hand.  Riley insists she killed 52 of them.... I think she lost count somewhere along the way, because I'm sure she killed more than that!!

More water.....

... and some more.....

On the way back to my sister's..............

Tuesday we headed back home... and on the way, we stopped in Wisconsin Dells to see my brother.   That's him way in the background.  Oliver loves Zoe!!!!  I don't know what kind of doggie Zoe is, but she's about 5 years old, and she's tiny and loveable!!!!

And here we are back at the border, about an hour and a half away from home.

Pam

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I'm in Carol Stream!  Just south of Schaumburg.  I grew up in the Ladysmith, Wisconsin area, and that's where 5 of my siblings still live.

My brother has lived in Baraboo and Wisonsin Dells for probably the past 20-25 years.  We see him every now and then, but have never really done anything in the Dells before, other than go to Devils Lake a few times.  I've hiked there in the past with him and two of my sisters.  We're going up this weekend to Wis Dells, because I had purchased tickets in advance for the Ducks, but we didn't make it there... after having a very late lunch with him and his girlfriend, we were exhausted and just wanted to get home. 

So, we're going up Saturday morning, coming back Sunday night.  In addition to the Ducks, we're probably going to do the horse-drawn carriage tour of the canyon(s?) as well as a deer park.  We'll do the water parks next summer!!!!

Quoting jlsjjsmom:

We love it up in Wisconsin! Our older ds lives in the Madison area - we just visited him a couple weeks ago. In October we're going up to the Baraboo area for the 2nd year in a row and stay in the same bed and breakfast. It's right near Devil's Lake. Hope to get more hiking in than we did last year - it was cold and rainy then. It takes us about 2 hours to get to the WI border (we're in the Peoria area). When we go visit Jason we head straight up I39. I've never been as far north as you were - perhaps one day!

Quoting KittyGram:

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Great pictures!  Isn't it beautiful in Wisconsin?!  Were does your sister live?  My parents had a cottage near Castle Rock Lake, about an hour past the Dells.  Not super north but a totally different feel...pine trees, sand instead of dirt etc.   My brother lives in Eagle River on the lake.  We've only visited him a couple times though.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice pics.  We hate living in Wisconsin though. 

.Holly.
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like you had a nice vacation with your family. :) Thanks for sharing!!

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 19, 2014 at 4:02 PM

The five that still live up there are all in the Ladysmith area.  And I have one in the LaCrosse area, as well!  (Another gorgeous area!!!)  And two sisters in Texas.

I grew up in Jump River, which is not too many miles southeast of Ladysmith, and has a population of about 50.  Not far from Cornell and Medford.  Sort of in between Ladysmith, Cornell, and Medford!  I went to high school in Gilman.

Quoting jabs54:

Great pictures!  Isn't it beautiful in Wisconsin?!  Were does your sister live?  My parents had a cottage near Castle Rock Lake, about an hour past the Dells.  Not super north but a totally different feel...pine trees, sand instead of dirt etc.   My brother lives in Eagle River on the lake.  We've only visited him a couple times though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)