Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Have you ever seen a Turken?  A cross breed between a Turkey and a Chicken?  The childrens Meseum had one last week.  Its a funny looking kind of bird.  

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Wow, I have never heard of that.  I wonder if it tastes more like chicken or turkey. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Never heard of that ;)

caro100
by Carol on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I thought you were talking about a turducken.   This is an example of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  What a pitiful looking creature.

lancet98
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

A turken is not a cross between a turkey and a chicken.

These birds were originally bred in Hungary, and they are NOT a cross between a turkey and a chicken.

lancet98
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

It is not a cross between a chicken and a turkey.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

Wow, I have never heard of that.  I wonder if it tastes more like chicken or turkey. 

finnbar
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:41 AM
A turken is NOT a cross between turkey and chicken.
They are a breed of chicken. Just chicken.
They taste like chicken.
Their eggs look and taste like chicken eggs.

I own two.

Your childrens museum should be ashamed for perpetuating an ignorant myth
finnbar
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM
They taste like chicken because they ARE chickens.
Not a turkey/chicken cross.

Just like hairless dogs are not crosses between dogs and rats

Quoting DesignGirl450:

lancet98
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

In fact they are lovely unusual birds but not a cross between a chicken and a turkey.

In fact, claims to have successfully crossed a chicken and a turkey (which claims pop up now and then) are roundly denied by geneticists and others who research animal hybrids.

Numerous studies have not been able to successfully create viable offspring between the two.   Some cell division is caused but no live offspring are created.

Many similar animals cannot breed and produce live offspring.   Only a few different species can do so and many produce only sterile hybrids.

There are many breeds of chickens now that are aimed at hobbyists and people who just want to have pet chickens.   Chickens make great pets and they also can make eggs.   Check your local regulations before getting pet chickens - they are not allowed in many towns/cities...and please, before you consider chickens, learn about how to feed and care for them, and find a local vet who treats chickens.   It would be a shame for pet chickens to go without veterinary care when they need it.

finnbar
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM
They look raggedy but it causes them no pain.
They are a breed of chicken. Not a cross with turkeys

Quoting caro100:

I thought you were talking about a turducken.   This is an example of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  What a pitiful looking creature.

finnbar
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM
I have two and they are very intelligent. They are good layers of light brown eggs too. I think their body shape and plummage most attractive as well.

Quoting lancet98:

In fact they are lovely unusual birds but not a cross between a chicken and a turkey.

In fact, claims to have successfully crossed a chicken and a turky (which claims pop up now and then) are roundly denied by geneticists and others who research animal hybrids.

Numerous studies have not been able to successfully create viable offspring between the two.   Some cell division is caused but no live offspring are created.

There are many breeds of chickens now that are aimed at hobbyists and people who just want to have pet chickens.   Chickens make great pets and they also can make eggs.   Check your local regulations before getting pet chickens - they are not allowed in many towns/cities...and please, before you consider chickens, learn about how to feed and care for them, and find a local vet who treats chickens.   It would be a shame for pet chickens to go without veterinary care when they need it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)