Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Have you ever seen a Turken?  A cross breed between a Turkey and a Chicken?  The childrens Meseum had one last week.  Its a funny looking kind of bird.  

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
caro100
by Carol on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Really, I still think they are a pretty pitiful species.  Are you sure it's not a hybrid or cross?

Quoting finnbar: They look raggedy but it causes them no pain. They are a breed of chicken. Not a cross with turkeys
Quoting caro100:

I thought you were talking about a turducken.   This is an example of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  What a pitiful looking creature.

finnbar
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:50 AM
They taste like chicken. They are NOT a turkey/chicken cross, just a unique variety of chicken

Quoting LadySaphira:

I have never heard of one..wonder what they taste like?

finnbar
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:52 AM
They breed true so pretty sure they are just another breed of chicken.
They are absolutely not crossed with anything but chicken

Quoting caro100:

Really, I still think they are a pretty pitiful species.  Are you sure it's not a hybrid or cross?

Quoting finnbar: They look raggedy but it causes them no pain.
They are a breed of chicken. Not a cross with turkeys

Quoting caro100:

I thought you were talking about a turducken.   This is an example of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  What a pitiful looking creature.

lancet98
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Did you read the research that I posted?   Geneticists suspect that any such crosses are 'fowl play'.  An owner of the breed with the right information has told you it's untrue.  That means nothing to you?

I think this kind of thing results from a very broad lack of science education.   Such things are taught in very, very basic biology classes.

A chicken breed can be created around a difference in feathers that is simply a mutation that can occur spontaneously in any chicken.   This does not mean the animal is 'related to' or 'bred from' any other species of animal with such feathers.  

Mutations happen all the time in nature just due to the nature of genes, and many animal breeds are based on breeding animals with mutations.   For example manx (tail-less) cats were bred from a British cat.   Scottish fold cats were based on a mutation of a gene related to ear shape.  

That doesn't mean the gene 'came from a dog with folded ears'.  Dogs and cats cannot have viable offspring.  It simply arises independently as a mutation in a cat.   if the cat is bred to other cats its offspring may also carry that gene.

Chickens CAN be crossed with pea fowl (peac0cks) and guinea hens and produce viable offspring.   Those animals are closely enough related that viable offspring can be produced.

ANY TIME ANYONE tells you they have crossed two rather different animals and produced viable offspring, you should be skeptical.   It's very common for people who like to make money selling things, to claim they have some exotic hybrid.

Some crosses are POSSIBLE but still extremely rare - like the cross between a goat and a sheep.   A few cases are on record  down through history, but I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to put my sheep and goats together in hopes of it happening.   Rare means rare.

The problem isn't really that you must know how Turkens were produced.

The problem is that because you lack the most basic, fundamental understanding of biology, you will make poor choices about health care and other important issues.

Quoting caro100:

Quoting finnbar: They look raggedy but it causes them no pain. They are a breed of chicken. Not a cross with turkeys
Quoting caro100:

caro100
by Carol on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:14 AM

I went on line and researched them myself.  I guess not all animals can be pretty.  I just had never heard of them before.  

Quoting finnbar: They breed true so pretty sure they are just another breed of chicken. They are absolutely not crossed with anything but chicken
Quoting caro100:

Quoting caro100:

caro100
by Carol on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:23 AM

You're an idiot hate mongerer.  My basis in biology is just fine thank you.  I have had 4 years of college and nursing classes that include a wide variety of biology and chemistry.  I scored well too.  With all the new gene splicing that the science community does, I just expressed  my uninformed opinion.  If you can't say anything nice, don't talk.  I went back and researched the breed. 

Quoting lancet98:

Did you read the research that I posted?   Geneticists suspect that any such crosses are 'fowl play'.  An owner of the breed with the right information has told you it's untrue.  That means nothing to you?

I think this kind of thing results from a very broad lack of science education.   Such things are taught in very, very basic biology classes.

A chicken breed can be created around a difference in feathers that is simply a mutation that can occur spontaneously in any chicken.   This does not mean the animal is 'related to' or 'bred from' any other species of animal with such feathers.  

Mutations happen all the time in nature just due to the nature of genes, and many animal breeds are based on breeding animals with mutations.   For example manx (tail-less) cats were bred from a British cat.   Scottish fold cats were based on a mutation of a gene related to ear shape.  

That doesn't mean the gene 'came from a dog with folded ears'.  Dogs and cats cannot have viable offspring.  It simply arises independently as a mutation in a cat.   if the cat is bred to other cats its offspring may also carry that gene.

Chickens CAN be crossed with pea fowl (peac0cks) and guinea hens and produce viable offspring.   Those animals are closely enough related that viable offspring can be produced.

ANY TIME ANYONE tells you they have crossed two rather different animals and produced viable offspring, you should be skeptical.   It's very common for people who like to make money selling things, to claim they have some exotic hybrid.

Some crosses are POSSIBLE but still extremely rare - like the cross between a goat and a sheep.   A few cases are on record  down through history, but I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to put my sheep and goats together in hopes of it happening.   Rare means rare.

The problem isn't really that you must know how Turkens were produced.

The problem is that because you lack the most basic, fundamental understanding of biology, you will make poor choices about health care and other important issues.

Quoting caro100:

Quoting caro100:

Memere60
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:15 AM

I've always wanted to try a Turducken. Have you ever had that? I used to feed ducks all the time, so I don't know if I could eat one. I have no emotional attachment to chickens or turkeys, though!!

Quoting Cindy18:

Nope. I thought you were talking about a TurDucken, a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken.

finnbar
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Turkens aren't very common. Most people who see mine automatically assume I am pulling their feathers out or something (ain't nobody got time for that!)
I was mostly just distressed that a children's museum would fail to actually RESEARCH an exhibit! Think of all the trusting people this place is misinforming, shameful.

Quoting caro100:

I went on line and researched them myself.  I guess not all animals can be pretty.  I just had never heard of them before.  

Quoting finnbar: They breed true so pretty sure they are just another breed of chicken.
They are absolutely not crossed with anything but chicken

Quoting caro100:

Quoting finnbar: They look raggedy but it causes them no pain.
They are a breed of chicken. Not a cross with turkeys

Quoting caro100:

MomofGrown1
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Hadn't seen one of those before, but I've eaten turducken at the holidays, maybe that's where they got the idea?

stepof5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM
I didn't even know they existed. Thanks for posting!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)