Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

What kind of mother in law are you?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 35 Replies

Cafe Michelle's post about being a MIL inspired me.

What kind of MIL are you? Do you think you are a good MIL or are you the dreaded monster in law?

What kind of relationship do you have with your mother in law?

by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I am no where near being a mother in law but I hope when the time comes, I will be a good one.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I am not a MIL but I think it would depend on who my children married.

Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I hated my mother in law so I try to be the exact opposite of how she was.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my MIL. I was only OK with my 1st MIL.  

Both my kids are married now. My daughter-in-law has serious insecurities...so everyone says. I was probably last to notice. I really don't know what kind of MIL I am with her. My son-in-law. He thinks I'm awesome...so he says...so his brothers, mother, and friends say....so I'll go with that.

stuswf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM
I think the most important thing is to remember your child is an adult ! Being a good listener & only giving advice when asked for & being a help to your child in a respectful adult way is a must! Keep your judgements to yourself & when they are having marriage problems don't take sides, be open minded with an open heart to both sides. When I go to visit my daughter & her husband (they live 1590 miles away)....I take care of & entertain my granddaughter so they can have together time. I spend time with my daughter when my son-in-law is at work. I also make time for myself so I'm not a cling-on never ending house guest. I fix dinner & clean the house so my daughter can have a break to visit with her friends. I fix my son-in-law breakfast when he comes home from work. I treat them both as adults with respect & they treat me the same way. My daughter is now 24 & they were married when she was 18. My son-in-law tells my daughter that I'm a phenomenal cook & a busy person. He also thanks me for teaching my daughter how to be such a great thrifty shopper....my MIL & I respect each other. We can carry on a conversation & do things for one another & she helps with our young 4 year old son....basically she minds her business & I mind mine.....we talk about tough things & are okay with agreeing to disagree on family issues , since my concept of family & marriage is different than mine.....my first MIL I LOVED LIKE ANOTHER MOM & ALWAYS CALLED HER MOM.....even after I divorced her son! She always said that I was her daughter because of love not marriage! & her husband my FIL I LOVED JUST AS MUCH!!!! He said, "REAL LOVE IS LOVE FOREVER".
emmygirl31
by Angie on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I am a good mother in law-I treat my son in law like he was my own son.   He is  a wonderful son in law too.  I never met my mother in law, she died before I met my dh.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I'm told I am a good one.  I have an amazing son-in-law.  I couldn't ask for a better man for my dd.  We have a great relationship.  And, for his birthday and Father's Day, we buy cards for a son, not a SIL.  As far as I am concerned, he is one of my kids.  And, he loves that we feel that way about him.  =)

CometGirl
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I am a non-interfering mil.  There are many, many things I would love to tell my DIL but I keep them all to myself.

I have a cordial relationship with my mil.  I'm not really accepted.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I didn't like either of my mils.  I try to be a nice one.  I love my dil.  Not saying that I approve with everything she does, or that she doesn't sometimes hurt my feelings but I love her and try to be the best mil to her that I can.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jun. 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Im not one yet,  but I think I am going to be a good one.  I have a horrible MIL and I dont want to be like that with my kids spouses, so I think my past experience will help  me be a good one.  Also my oldest DSs girlfriends have liked me so far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN