Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Did You Hitch Hike When You Were Younger,

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:16 AM
  • 60 Replies

Do you ever hitch hike now? Do you have any scary hitch hiking stories?

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:20 AM

I hitch hiked once and only once. My friends and i were hitch hiking, to a place I used to live to see my friends brother and my ex-boyfriend and first love. We we got in the car, the guy started driving. He turned, when we were supposed to be going straight. He wouldn't listen to us, until we started yelling like crazy. He finall let us out and I never got in a car with a stranger again, and I never will.

pinkiebabii
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I hitched hiked a ton. Usually to convince some adult that picked me up to buy me alcohol, we would even go back to their houses. Or I'd hitch hike early in the morning from where ever I partied that night so I'd get home before parents woke up.

I don't hitch hike now because I have a car and a toddler. SO is constantly picking people up though.

Nothing scary ever happened.
Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe that I have actually hitch hiked.

luvnature
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I did with my friends when we could not find rides to the clubs we wanted to go to. I only have one funny story. One time, my sister, my friend and I were hich hiking and someone stopped to give us a ride. We climbed in the car and we started a conversation with the man who was driving. He was an older gentleman and had a little accent, so one thing led to another and we come to find out where he was living and he said he was visiting relatives in the area and asked us if we knew a man by a certain name....The three of us stopped talking and looked at each other in total shock, because the man had said my dad's name. So my sister and I asked him what his name was and when he told us, we bursted out: "Hi uncle!, our dad is doing just fine." The man proceded to say he had recognized us right away and knew who we were and that is why he had picked us up, because he wanted to make sure we got to our destination safely. This man was my dad's godfather and our great uncle. For the rest of the way we had a blast talking to him and laughed about all the stories he told us about my dad when he was a little boy and he also promised to never tell our dad he had picked us up, because he knew my dad would give us trouble. I don't think my dad ever found out over the years we had hitched a ride with our great uncle. 

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I never did. By the time I was a teenager there were so many scary stories.
mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My friend and I did one time. No scary stories but it was freaky and we never did it again. There was one older gentleman that pulled over to pick us up, before we got in he asked if we had any guns or knives. My friend said no, do you?!? lol! he said no so we got in the car.  Man, we were so stupid sometimes.

KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I hitched a ride once... with my daughter.  We had car trouble south of Madison, WI on our way home once many years ago, before I had a cell phone.  Hitched a ride to Edgerton, where I called a tow truck, and my brother, who lived in Baraboo at the time (about 1/2 hour or so north of Madison).  He came and picked us up, car was repaired the next day.

I also have picked up hitchhikers on two occasions.  Once was in Black River Falls, WI, on the way from my sister's (near LaCrosse), to my mother's (Way up north).  It was Christmas morning, it was freezing, and there was a teen age boy walking along the street.  When I stopped, he told me he was on his way to church, so I gave him a ride.  The other time was not too far north of there, and I had seen a guy walking with a gas can.  Came across his car about 5 miles later.  Turned around and offered him a ride.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I never did. My Mom put the fear of God in us over that one!

I do have friends that have some horror stories, so I had no interest even.

bren_darlene
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I was never that stupid.  I was always very conscious of danger and stayed clear.  Like when I was a teen and would do some drugs.  I was one that never went so far that I didn't know what I was doing or what was happening to me.

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I never have. I never would or will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN