Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

She's Afraid To Drive

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 37 Replies

My oldest daughter just turned 18. She is heading to college in about a month. She is afraid to learn to drive! I get it that traffic here is horrific and that even experienced drivers can be intimidated. BUT, how will she function as an adult without learning how to drive? We have offered to teach her, drivers lessons, a free car, all of that. She says she isnt ready and that she wouldnt be driving at college anyway. 

Anyone else face this issue with their kids? What did you do? Did they eventually bite the bullet. 

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nuts4scouts
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 25, and 28. Neither of them drive.

They both function just fine!

They walk, ride bikes, and take public transportation.

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM

As long as she is in an area where there is public transportation & where she can get around to things ( like things are close enough that she could ride a bike & walk ) She is okay. I would stop pushing & let it go. The more you do, the more it won't help. I bet once she goes away, and it gets a bit harder to get around she will either find all the ways she needs & make it just fine, or give in & learn. 

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

My daughter didn't get her license as young as some of her friends, but others were even later than her.  I think nobody should be forced into driving if they are afraid.  She will do this when she feels she is ready.  

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Mine never had any issues.  I sure hope she will be ok.  I feel bad that she's scared.  Hopefully as she gets a little more confidence in her driving she will be ok.  I do know a lady who was always scared to drive and now she doesn't drive anywhere.  Her family gives her a hard time which makes me mad.  I mean she can't help it that she tenses up like that and is afraid.  Keep us posted on your dd    :)

LadyIQ
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you ladies, no more pressure.
.Holly.
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Mine was the opposite, he couldn't wait to drive. So I really have no good advice for you. I do, however, agree with what has been mentioned to not pressure her. Everyone is different and she should not feel forced to do so. She'll do it when she's ready, I'm sure. :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:05 PM

both my kids drive.  However my son had a brain tumor and even after it was removed a few years ago, he still has seizures, so he bought himself a bicycle with a motor on it.  He crashed his car during a seizure a little over a year ago and doesn't know if he really ever wants to drive again.

LadyIQ
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I would be so over-protective in this case. I know you can't coddle him, but I would be afraid everytime he left my sight.  Is he legally allowed to continue to drive?

Quoting suzeebloch:

both my kids drive.  However my son had a brain tumor and even after it was removed a few years ago, he still has seizures, so he bought himself a bicycle with a motor on it.  He crashed his car during a seizure a little over a year ago and doesn't know if he really ever wants to drive again.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM

No, he can't drive until he's been seizure free for 6 months and it's been 4 months and counting since his last one.   But I can't be over-protective nor coddle him as he lives 1800 miles away from me! At least I don't have to watch him.  lol.  When he comes home at Christmas I have to bite my tongue to not ask if he's taken his meds - he's been dealing with this now since summer 2009.  gosh, I just realized, this Wednesday will be the 5th year anniversary of when the @#!@% tumor was discovered.  

Quoting LadyIQ:

I would be so over-protective in this case. I know you can't coddle him, but I would be afraid everytime he left my sight.  Is he legally allowed to continue to drive?

Quoting suzeebloch:

njt320
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM
My 19 ds won't drive!!! I am retiring aug 1st and hope I can start having more time to work with him so he will go take the test and get his license. Seems weird .. But he is a quiet kid idk what to do....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)