Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Unmarried pregnant daughter

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:45 PM
  • 35 Replies

My daughter has been with her boyfriend for 1.5 years and living together for around 6 months and surprise she's pregnant. She's 29 and he's 32. After the shock we are very happy for them and want to be as supportive as we can. His parents on the other hand are not happy at all and have said a few not nice things about my daughter. Funny that they thought she was so great before she got pregnant. Now my daughter is spending a lot of time crying because of the negative response from her boyfriends parents. They had discussed getting married before this happened and are thinking of upping the date. His parents are too worried about what their community will think and how they won't be able to afford expensive things because of this pregnancy and my daughter doesn't work and wants to be a full time mom. His family are all doctors and they feel humiliated by this situation. I'm hoping the other parents come around to be supportive to my daughter and their son.  Thanks for letting me vent.

UPDATE_ Just to keep everyone updated my daughter's BF put his foot down with his parents YAY!!! now that's a real man!! I'm so proud of him, and my daughter and him are very happy. Next week is the first appointment and ultrasound 8 weeks so i'm hoping all is well with the wee one. Will let you know how the appointment goes :)

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Well, it sounds like the adult children are old enough to be responsible.  His parents would be wise to be supportive or they will regret the damage they will cause to their relationship with their son and future DIL.  Good for you for being positive.  I am sorry your daughter is feeling very hurt.  It sounds like his parents have expectations they want to impose on their son.   

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this

They are not young. They are plenty old enough to make appropriate decisions. She is also old enough to tell his parents to shove it. 

Is the BF a doctor?

Beenthere3times
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:02 PM

No he's not a doctor and i think that might bother his parents.

Quoting Cindy18:

They are not young. They are plenty old enough to make appropriate decisions. She is also old enough to tell his parents to shove it. 

Is the BF a doctor?

Beenthere3times
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I don't know why they're behaving like this. I'm so sad for my daughter and her BF. Hope my daughter and her BF are stong enough to weather this storm with his parents. You're right his mom is setting the stage for her future relationship with my daughter.

Quoting Maddie24:

Well, it sounds like the adult children are old enough to be responsible.  His parents would be wise to be supportive or they will regret the damage they will cause to their relationship with their son and future DIL.  Good for you for being positive.  I am sorry your daughter is feeling very hurt.  It sounds like his parents have expectations they want to impose on their son.   

LadyDiamond927
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM

That's not right...They're old enough to make their own choices....

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:13 AM

At least your daughter has you!  It is unfortunate the response from his parents, though.  I'm sorry your daughter is upset about this - I would be, too.  Hopefully they will come around and change their minds about this. 

Beenthere3times
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:29 AM

I hope his parents come around too, mostly for the sake of their son. I can't ever imagine not being around to help my daughter ( or any of my children) and her BF through this, i thought that was part of our job description as parents. Thank goodness we're a close family, we're very strong and supportive. I'm just shocked at their response. I think it's just a shock response but meanwhile they're saying things that in the long run may damage future relationships, so i wish they would just shut their mouths and be greatful for this future grandchild. I hear grandchildren are really cute. :)

Quoting suzeebloch:

At least your daughter has you!  It is unfortunate the response from his parents, though.  I'm sorry your daughter is upset about this - I would be, too.  Hopefully they will come around and change their minds about this. 

Beenthere3times
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I know right!! They're adults, i think he needs to set down boundaries with his parents. Clearly at his age of 32, his parents don't look at him as an adult. Oh well more grandchild cuddle time for us!!

Quoting LadyDiamond927:

That's not right...They're old enough to make their own choices....

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:35 AM

they are saying things that are just plain rude! 

When people say things out of anger, being hurt or whatever, the sad thing is, most of the time it's how they really feel.

Hugs and Congratulations to your DD!  stork

Quoting Beenthere3times:

I hope his parents come around too, mostly for the sake of their son. I can't ever imagine not being around to help my daughter ( or any of my children) and her BF through this, i thought that was part of our job description as parents. Thank goodness we're a close family, we're very strong and supportive. I'm just shocked at their response. I think it's just a shock response but meanwhile they're saying things that in the long run may damage future relationships, so i wish they would just shut their mouths and be greatful for this future grandchild. I hear grandchildren are really cute. :)

Quoting suzeebloch:

Beenthere3times
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:46 AM

I guess my daughter was good enough to live with their son, sleep with him, travel to the families country homes, yes i said homes. Meet the family and friends, the parents even talked about her marrying their son, but i guess they're not happy with the order in which this happened. My daughter is finishing up a school degree, but she has anxiety and may never be able to work, she has come a long way she use to suffer from agoraphobia, this man loves her the way she is, his family is dragging up the fact that she may never work part and making lots of money. If this all goes sour, his parents will be very sorry they answered the telephone when my husband and i call them.

Quoting Maddie24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)