Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

QOTD-- 7/12/14- When did you get your first cell phone?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM
  • 25 Replies

by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChitownLady
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I got mine back in the late 80's early 90's it was a bag phone which you had to bring the large battery in the house to charge on the house current. Hated the fact that it was so large and the inconvenience of charging it, but I have to say it had the best reception. I able use it up in the mountains in Wyoming where no one could get service!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Wow.  I have to use brain cells for this one!  I think my first cell phone was in the mid to late 1990s.  I honestly don't remember!  I know I had one when I worked at the mortgage company and I started there in 1996.  I'm not sure if I had one before that or not.  I know I had an alpha-numeric pager that we could use to send "text" messages via the computer.  Cellular One was the name of the cellphone company that later sold out to Verizon.

redneck_kids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Me too.Those were huge! LOL

Quoting ChitownLady:

I got mine back in the late 80's early 90's it was a bag phone which you had to bring the large battery in the house to charge on the house current. Hated the fact that it was so large and the inconvenience of charging it, but I have to say it had the best reception. I able use it up in the mountains in Wyoming where no one could get service!

Life is hard, it's harder if your stupid- John Wayne

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

My first cell phone was given to me by my son about 12 years ago after he was working for T-Mobile a bit. It sat on the top of my fridge for a couple of years. It didn't work in the areas I needed to travel as part of my job so I didn't even use it. He was worried about me being on the road. It is taking me a long time to get used to thinking about taking it with me when I go anywhere. Most of the time I forget about it except for when I know I will need it. Even then, I forget often. I do use a cell phone more now than back then. Towers are more prevalent now.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:38 AM

ummm 8 years ago? I think LOL

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM

13 years ago approximately.

Marinefranksmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM

When my son was 10, about 18 yrs ago,  he was in a car accident with his Nana while DH & I were out shopping.  We didn't find out about it until a couple of hours after it happened. Nana, his Mom, left a phone message but we didn't know how badly they were hurt.  We then raced to the hospital a few minutes away.  Nana had some bruised ribs & Frank was in a very uncomfortable neck brace until his Xrays came back an hour later, poor kid.  Fortunately, neither was badly hurt & they were released.  A week later, I got a cell phone.  Two years later, I got one for my son who was about to start high school a few towns away and was participating in sports. Then my husband, who didn't want it, got one.  

diaperstodating
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I'm in my 30's and don't have any adult children. Just reading the answers. Have a good weekend ladies!
brouillette
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
2002, I believe.
mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

It think it was 1998 or 1999. I got it after I broke down on my way to the college campus. I have to walk for miles to get to a phone. My husband and I went to the mall later that day to get a phone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)