Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

A friend and I were discussing her being a grandmother to 8

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 29 Replies

and that she became a grandmother at 35.  She felt it was too young (but what can you do right?) and rather her kids did not make the same "mistakes" that she did and waited before having kids. 

I know a girl that became a grandmother at 27 (she had her first at 14, her DD had her first at 13, ) and was actualy proud of it and braging about it on FB. It was kind of disgusting how she carried on about it.

How young do you think is "too young" to become a grandmother?

Support cancer awareness here #mce_temp_url#

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Esmrlda
by Esme on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going with 27, that's the youngest I have ever heard about and thats way to young. Anything under 45 is to young and 55 is just right. 

okpondlady
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Around here it is nothing to be a grandmother at 30.  I was an "older" mother at 26 for my first and 30 for my second.  Yes I was the OLD mom with the 5 year old at kindergarten with all the 20 year olds.  I was 31.   I think I did better by waiting and my children benefited from it.  So far my children are 21 and 17 with no signs of pregnancy amongst them.  The 21 year old actually still thinks sex/babies is gross.  Yes I know that isn't normal too.

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I knew a woman that was a grandma at 30. She had her first at 15 and her first had a baby at 15. I thought that was way too young. 27! That's crazy! 

I think anything under 40 is too young. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I won't be till about 58 or 59 probably. My mom was 62. I think those are good ages. Before 45 is too young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rileyscute
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM

A friend of mine from highschool made her mother a grandma at 33..my sister was a grandma at 38. I am 42 now..and being a grandma seems far in the future yet..but 55? lol My daughter would be well into her 30s. My mother was a grandmother at 44, and her mother was a grandmother at 44

realistically though..I would rather be in my 40's..still young and healthy enough to enjoy them (won't happen with my younger kids)

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Wow - I so cannot relate as I was 41 when my daughter was born.  The unfortunate part of women having their kids while in their teens is they tend to spend the rest of their lives economically challenged, and so often does the next generation.  There are so many opportunities now for females to become educated in some way, so they can support the children they will eventually have.   

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Before 30's I guess! I was 44 with my oldest granchild. I'm 52 now.

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Having choose to have my son at 18 ( turning 19 right after and graduating at 17 ). I see nothing wrong with it, also. I think that "wrong" could be the wrong term. 

I wanted Jonathan to wait a bit longer since he had some other desires in life, but if he wanted to settle down & have child, I could have been a grandma at 36-37, it could be. 

I really don't see a magic number though. I would think maybe before 30 would be rough but, but as long as the child is going to stand up & be a parent, the child is cared for & celebrated, that is all that matters. It is hard to see really young kids having babies, the babies not being cared for and kids not caring for the babies, but otherwise, the rest isn't as critical.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I think becoming a Grandma before 30 is a little young but thats just my opinion.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Not sure I can say what is 'too young'.  I became a grandmother at 43 - wow, it surprises me to think back about that!  That was a great age to become a grandmother because I had so much great time with my DGD.  We are very close because of it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)