Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I Told Her She Could Find Someone Else To Babysit

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter has two children from her previous marriage.  She had another baby with her fiance' six years ago.  She treats they younger child different than the others, so does her finace'.  It just really pisses me off.  She says well, she is the baby.  Don't you remember what it was like to be spoiled.  Sure I do.  But the same rules applied to me as they did my brothers.  I told her that when they got married in September and go on their honeymoon that I was going to treat all the kids the same.  I do anyway when they are here.  She got all pissed off and said I was just being mean.   Am I wrong?

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
valkay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM
No and six is not a baby
DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM

She probably resents the father of her older two, and so doesn't have the love for them that she does with the youngest child.  Also, not a good idea to keep calling the  youngest child of a family the "baby".  I think it hinders their ability to grow up. 

PogoPalOj
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:05 PM

No,no, no.  She loves all her kids, but she just keeps babying the youngest, like she doesn't have to follow the same rules.  Its' not like she neglects the older two or shuns them in any way.  It's just like if she is talking to one of he oldest and the youngest comes up she just stops and pays all her attention to the baby. grrrrrrr. And if the baby doesn't want to go to bed she gets to stay up.  That sort of thing.

Quoting PogoPalOj:

My daughter has two children from her previous marriage.  She had another baby with her fiance' six years ago.  She treats they younger child different than the others, so does her finace'.  It just really pisses me off.  She says well, she is the baby.  Don't you remember what it was like to be spoiled.  Sure I do.  But the same rules applied to me as they did my brothers.  I told her that when they got married in September and go on their honeymoon that I was going to treat all the kids the same.  I do anyway when they are here.  She got all pissed off and said I was just being mean.   Am I wrong?

emmygirl31
by Angie on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

You are absolutely right!  My parents told me all the time, I was the oldest and I should know better, or be the bigger person.  When I was 55 and my sister was 53 my father would still tell me I am older and should know better.  There were only 2 children and my parents always babyed my sister.  To this day, she is demanding, condescending, and rude because she feels she can be. Her mother is doing her no favor letting her be the baby all her life---the outside world doesnt care she was the baby she will have to be like everyone else and it will be a rude awakening.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

She needs to realize that sooner or later the 6yo's siblings are going to resent their younger sister if they haven't started already. And even though you say she loves all of them equally,its a good chance her older children aren't seeing it that way or won't be for long.

If they continue to "BABY" her,its the same as"Spoiling" her,because shes getting her way over being taught that shes the same as her siblings and the rules of the house apply to all!

YEs, she is the youngest and always will be,but that dosen't mean she should be treated any differnt then the others. The baby stage as been gone for awhile now!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Your DD is setting herself up for a hell of a mess with those kids , if it hasn't started already.

caro100
by Carol on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:35 AM

No. and your daughter sounds spoiled.  She may end up with resentful kids.  She needs to remember that the older kids will probably pick out the nursing home.  The younger spoiled kid won't do anything.

EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM

No. 

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I had heard that the youngest child always tends to have a different set of rules because by the time they come along the older ones have gone through most of the restrictions.  All of the children should be treated the same but the reality is that they usually aren't.

maryBlanche
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM

No   All the children should be treated equally. She is sending a message that says., "I love my youngest more because I love her Dad more".  I feel badly for the other two children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)