Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My 21 yo son wants a Vasectomy!

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM
  • 145 Replies

So my ds is always saying that he doesn't want to get married or have children.  I usually tell him that he may change his mind when he gets older.  Today I found out that he's been looking into getting a vasectomy.  What???

Hopefully no doctor would give him one at his young age.  And I hope if a doc did agree, they would encourage him to freeze sperm first.

What advice do you have for me?

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames0991
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this

No advice here, sorry.  My 21 year old DD just had a 10 year IUD put in because she doesn't want children or to get married.  She went to several doctors and the would not do a tubal.  She hates children, like, when her nephew is in front of her, she has stink face.  lol

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:02 AM
7 moms liked this

Sadly for you, this is his decision to make.  I don't have any advice to give you, either.  However, if he truly doesn't want kids, just think of the consequences if he did impregnate someone.  He is taking control of his situation.  Yes, he may someday change his mind; however there are options available even today if that should occur down the road and of course technology keeps advancing.

When I married my 2nd husband, he'd had a vasectomy and 5 years after we were married he decided he wanted a kid after all.  24 years ago, there weren't too many options and we ended up using sperm from a donor at a local medical center and my son today is my pride and joy.  I know that with technological advances, these days sperm can be harvested in men who have had vasectomies and decide now they want kids ...

redneck_kids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:24 AM

They won't give him one, not this young. 

Paigesmommy78
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry I don't have any advice just that I doubt they will give him one that young
mrs.hartman12
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM
They won't give him one. Heck my brothers friend is 30 and they won't give him one because he doesnt have any sons. I wouldn't ecourage someone that young to do something permanent like that. Yes, it can be reversed and other options but they are expensive. I wouldn't give unsolicited advise, but if its brought up by him voice your concerns.
mommy2adandykid
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM
16 moms liked this

what advice?  support your son.  what other advice is there?  you do realize a vasectomy is pretty easy to reverse right?  seriously.......why do you feel as if your 'right to grandkids' is more important than his right to a life like he wants?

karamille
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

At his age I didn't want to have his either.  I was 29 when the desire to reproduce kicked in.  I do know a few men as young as him who have had vacectomies, but they had a medical reason for it - a genetic mutation they didn't want to pass on.  My guess is you would be hard pressed to find a doctor who would do a vasectomy on a guy that young without a medical reason

karamille
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM
4 moms liked this

You can only reverse a vacectomy for about 5 years with decent results... 10 years for spotty results.  After that they can attempt to remove a wedge of testies and extract sperm from that for IVF, but its not very good results.   Should be find a doctor willing to do the vasectomy you may want to pay offer to pay for the sperm bank storage.  It would seem like a waste of money to him now, but being older and wiser you can see the value in a back up plan should his feelings change.  

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM
10 moms liked this

Kids aren't everything. 

My daughter wanted a hysterectomy the moment she started her period at 11. haha. She's 31 and still has no desire for kids.  

skrbelly
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
3 moms liked this
Good for him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN