Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Man Sets House on Fire Trying to Kill Spider

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

Man Sets House on Fire Trying to Kill Spider

by Adriana Velez

spiderI think most of us would agree that spiders are kind of scary, but here's a fear of the arachnid taken to the extreme. A man set his house on fire trying to kill a spider. You read that correctly. A man in Seattle set his house aflame, causing some $60,000 in damage and displacing a family, all because he wanted to kill an itsy bitsy spider. You may be wondering to yourself, how does one go about burning down one's own house in an attempt to kill a spider? How does that happen, exactly? Well I'm glad you asked, because there's an important lesson here for us all to learn.

The unnamed man tried to kill the spider with fire. Specifically, he used a can of spray paint and a lighter in his laundry room. You see, the spider was about to climb into the wall, and the man wanted to stop it. What if it succeeded in escaping into the wall and then laid a bunch of little spider eggs?!? I guess that's why he didn't go with a more traditional spider-killing method, like, say, smashing it with his shoe or a rolled-up newspaper.

Instead, he lit the wall on fire, and the flames traveled up to the ceiling and into the attic. He tried to douse the flames with water but failed. Then he ran out of the house.

"There are safer, more effective ways to kill a spider than using fire," says Kyle Moore of the Seattle Fire Department. "Fire is not the method to use to kill a spider." To which I would add: no shit. You guys, better to let a spider escape into a wall than to burn that wall down. Yes, even if the end result is a hundred spider babies. Don't fight fire with fire, and don't fight spiders with fire, either.

We're just glad no one was hurt in this debacle.

What do you usually use to kill spiders?

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM

The first thing I can reach. 

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not kill spiders in our home.  If we find one in the house, we have a dedicated "spider jar", just a plastic jar that held coffee or some other food item.   You just plunk the open end of the jar on the floor on top of the spider, slide a piece of paper underneath, then upend the jar and toss the 8-legged little critter outside.  No big deal, and we just don't like to kill them. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I don't mind spiders that are outdoors (but I wouldn't want to find myself having to sleep on the ground, either!). 

However, if they come inside my apartment - that's a different story.   I work hard to earn the money to pay my rent, darn it.  I don't take kindly to moochers.  lol.  I typically try to smash them - and do it quickly - I may not like spiders but I dont want them to suffer, either.  ;o)

DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:55 AM

My husband kills all the bugs including spiders for me. That's really sad that the man set his house on fire. I am also very glad that he didn't get hurt.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I will grab whatever I can....magazine, shoe etc....

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I usualy use a flip flop

cuauhtemocsmom
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM
I don't kill spiders. I get a cup or a jar and trap them and take them outside. Idk I have no problem with spiders. Mice/rats OMG I would totally panic!! I would do whatever I could and KILL THEM!!
GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM
We use the same approach if the spider is a particularly aggressive variety or is somehow in our way but otherwise we leave them in situ to eat their weights everyday in other creatures that would "bug" us.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

We do not kill spiders in our home.  If we find one in the house, we have a dedicated "spider jar", just a plastic jar that held coffee or some other food item.   You just plunk the open end of the jar on the floor on top of the spider, slide a piece of paper underneath, then upend the jar and toss the 8-legged little critter outside.  No big deal, and we just don't like to kill them. 

KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM
I squish them. I suppose if I didn't live on the third floor, I might catch and release, but I'm not going to be running up and down the stairs just to save a spider!!
KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM
And how stupid can a person be to try to use flame and spray paint to kill a bug inside the home?!?! Stupid. Really, what did he think would happen?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)