Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Looky looky

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
  • 17 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have 9 hens & 2 roosters. I have a variety of breeds. This is a Barred Rock hen and her 3 new babies. She's the 1st girl I've had go broody, but only had 1 egg under her. I grabbed a couple other eggs from another nest and let her sit on them as well. This is what hatched in a 2-day period. SO CUTE! I think the black one is hers mated with a black cochin rooster. I think the silver one is a white hen/black cochin roo, and I think the yellow is either the hen or roo an americauna, not knowing what the other is. She's like the nanny at the orphanage. ha

I also have 19 Cornish X meat chicks with a couple more weeks to go before they get the knife. And I have 4 Swedish Blue ducks.

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM

cute!  I suppose she doesn't realize she only had one egg there, huh?  Does she treat the others as if they are hers then?  I honestly am completely clueless when it comes to chicken behaviors. 

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM

They are so cute.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM

As far as she's concerned they are her babies. I am hands on with my birds every day, so they're all friendly. You always hear horror stories about roosters, but not mine. They are all very comfortable with my Border Collie as well. Not always with the other 2 dogs. I 'visit' this girl several times a day, and always talk and pat her. Bring her treats, etc. But the minute I pick up a baby, she fluffs right up, spreads her wings and waits to poke my hand. haha. There are till 3 unhatched eggs in her nest that she must have put there. She's sitting on them. I'll pick a date that they should be hatched by, and if not, I'll just toss them. 

Quoting suzeebloch:

cute!  I suppose she doesn't realize she only had one egg there, huh?  Does she treat the others as if they are hers then?  I honestly am completely clueless when it comes to chicken behaviors. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Aww...love it!  :)

KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Very cute! We had chickens off and on when I was growing up.
kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Adorable. They're so darn cut.

Beenthere3times
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

So cute.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM

That is really amazing. I was on Facebook the other day, and saw a giraffe being born. It's so aweome to see.

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM

They're so cute and small!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM

cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)