Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

my daughter is out of control

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 18 year old daughter is disrespectful and out of control. I'm at a loss for answers and support.
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
valkay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM
How old is she?
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Welcome to MWAK!  What behaviors are you seeing in your 18-year-old daughter that are disrespectful and out of control?  Those behaviors can vary, of course, from kid to kid and I would need a little more information!  Is she your only child?  your oldest? youngest? in between?  Are you a single mom?  Married?  have a SO?  Just need a little more information  to be able to provide you with some answers and support!!

:o)

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Is she in HS still? If so what punishments have you given her? If not in HS tell her to shape up or move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rlyons620
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM
She is 17 will be 18 next month. she has lived with her dad and step mom up until 5 weeks ago and has been here almost everyday of her life as we live so close. She left her dads 5 weeks ago and he has not tried to have any contact w her. She was staying w friends biyfrie
kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Sounds like someting is going on in her life right now,17-18 is kind of rough time for teens anyway. They feel they're on that brink of being an adult and they shouldn't have to listen to anyone and they KNOW EVERYTHING!!! lol 

Any particular reason she moved out of her Dads house? Was she out of control there too? Did she move out or was she kicked out? ANd why was she sofa surfing before she decided to come to you?

I know I sound nosey but if you want us to give some advice we need a little more information then she just being disrespectful and out of control.  Unfortunately at that age most teenagers seem that way.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Quoting rlyons620: She is 17 will be 18 next month. she has lived with her dad and step mom up until 5 weeks ago and has been here almost everyday of her life as we live so close. She left her dads 5 weeks ago and he has not tried to have any contact w her. She was staying w friends biyfrie

so she basically lived with dad most of her life then?  But visited you nearly every day during that same time - like what?  after school?  just to stop and say hello?  I'm a little confused here.  But now she lives with you - for the past 5 weeks since she left her dad's?  Are you a single mom?  Are there other kids living at home?  If so, where does she fit age-wise with the other kids?   And what behaviors/disrespect is she exhibiting?  I'm not sure I follow that last sentence, "she was staying w friends biyfrie"  ... she was staying with a friends boyfriend?  as in living there?  stayed overnight?

Again, not knowing too much else, it's hard to give you any advice.  I know that age can be difficult even with 2 fully-grounded parents!  hang in there and I hope you come back and give us some more details!

jjames0991
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Have you sat down and had a heart to heart with her?  Is there a family member that she is comfortable with that she would be open with that could talk to her?

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Need more info.   What is the entire picture with her and all of the rest of you ?     There could be many different solutions depending on what has gone on in her life.      

Since what age has she been with her dad and what is your relationship with her ? 

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Sorry about your situation, and as others have mentioned, this can be a tough age, transitioning into adulthood, while still very much a dependent.  I would suggest that you try to have a non-confrational talk with your daughter and ask her what sort of problems she is having, and what you or she can do to improve her happiness and well being.  I don't understand or know if this is new behaviour since she left her father's home, and if this is at least part of the reason for her attitude. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Welcome to the group! As the others have said, in order to give advice, we need more info. Why did she leave her dad's and why is he not talking to her now? How long has she been staying with you and why wasn't she living with you in the first place? Unless we have some background info, the only advice I can give is to sit her down, give her rules she has to follow if she wants to live under your roof and be prepared to give her the boot if she refuses to follow them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN