Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tough Love versus Spanking

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
  • 21 Replies

Tough Love vs. Spanking - Good Argument

Most people think it's improper to spank children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have one of  'those moments.'

One that I found effective is for me to just take the child for a car ride and talk.

Some say it's the vibration from the car, others say it's the time away from any distractions such as TV, Video Games, Computer, IPod, etc.

Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our car ride together.  Eye to eye contact helps a lot too.

I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique.

Sincerely,

Your Friend

P.S.:  This works with grandchildren, nieces, and nephews as well.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM

LOL! I'm 100% against spanking.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM

LOL

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM

All I know is we've done both. I'm not crazy about spanking. Time outs work better. My one son has ADHD/now Bipolar. For kids with behavioral issues, spanking is way worse.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Quoting Mariagma3:

All I know is we've done both. I'm not crazy about spanking. Time outs work better. My one son has ADHD/now Bipolar. For kids with behavioral issues, spanking is way worse.

this post was really just for fun.  It truly has nothing to do with either spanking or tough love.  LOL.

have you ever taken your child for a car ride as in this article though?  LOL.

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting Mariagma3:

this post was really just for fun.  It truly has nothing to do with either spanking or tough love.  LOL.

Sorry, Ronna! No, I don't drive. But, the pic is funny! Maybe that's what I should have done, LOL! J/K! :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mariagma3:

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting Mariagma3:

Sorry, Ronna! No, I don't drive. But, the pic is funny! Maybe that's what I should have done, LOL! J/K! :)

but FYI, I did both as well. 

I was single when my daughter was 2 and throwing tantrums left and right and I was at a complete loss.  I actually took her to a child psychologist (I was so naive back then!!!) and he taught me Time Out.  Which really didn't do much, in my opinion.  lol.

With my son, 10 years later, I found he learned more quickly to behave after a swift slap on the butt rather than time out.  go figure.

My dad used a switch on my brother and I when we misbehaved.  But before he doled out that punishment, we had to endure a very very long prayer where he would ask God for guidance, and asked God to help him deliver our discipline out of love, not anger.  Kneeling through those prayers was worse than the whippings.  LOL.

DesignGirl450
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Ronna, this is too funny.  Love your rotten sense of humor. 

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Lol love it.
redneck_kids
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Lol!

nana776
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM

LMBO, you had me going for a minute there. I was trying to figure out how to have eye contact and drive, now I see. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)