Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

When Your Kids Were Younger, Or Even Now

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM
  • 39 Replies

Did you have family nights, where you went someplace together or played games. What were your favorite board games? Did you ever let your kids win on purpose?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM

We had family nights a lot. We would go bowling, which I loved, or play mini golf. At home, my favorite game was Risk. I loved playing that, and I did make sure I didn't win. When my son figured out what I was doing, he got upset that I let him win and didn't try for myself. I didn't have to try with bowling or mini golf. I just lost without trying. Lol.

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
We played more video games and watched movies, ordered pizza..stuff like that. My son was never really into board games, so we didn't do that. I haven't played a board game in awhile, I want to play monopoly now. Lol
MichelleMc
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We usually went somewhere. Camping on weekends, fairs, festivals, fun kids events, walks, hikes. We did play board games, and I didn't believe in letting him win. I didn't believe in playing as hard as I could to beat him as hard as I could, but letting him win, no. 

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes everynight was a family night.  I was a single mom, dd and I had a really fun time growing up.  ; )

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't really do family nights, we spend a lot of time during the day doing fun things, by evening everyone is tired so they like to have their own time in the evenings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We never had any special designated night. We did them when we could and everyone wanted to!

I might have given hints or not pay as close attention to a game at times but I never lost on purpose. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

When Jessica was young, it was me and her adopted dad and we would go fishing at the Lake of the Ozarks once a year.  We went on a road trip one summer.  We never had a family night or anything.  Jessica was on a bowling league and also took Japanese language lessons at a library on Saturdays.  I was the one who took her to those activities.

When Johnny came along 10 years later, we still didn't have any family nights.  I know his dad took him fishing but Johnny was never to keen on that.  Johnny was only 6 years old when I divorced his dad.  and then it was just me, Johnny and Jess.  I had alternating week custody of Johnny with his dad, so when it was my turn to have him, Jess and Johnny and I would go out to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant.  Then, Thursday night was our TV night - remember Friends and ER?  I always ordered Pizza and we'd watch the lineup together.  Johnny was also on a bowling league and I took him on my Saturdays.  Johnny and I enjoyed playing Scrabble and Monopoly, and Stratego most of those years - remember his sister was 10 yrs older, so when he was 8, she was 18.  lol.  Needless to say she didn't stay home too often.  But we did more things as a family when I was divorced than we did when I was married.  We took several road trips and vacations together, the 3 of us, even when Jessica was really "too old" (as teenagers go) to do that sort of thing - and so I'm glad we have all those memories!

redneck_kids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Uno is our fave. My hubby and daughter like to gang up on me. Draw four my ass!!! No residual effects.   :)

But we are more into watching movies together.

caro100
by Carol on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, we did, but not as many as I would have liked.  The boys wanted us to play video games with them, and I wasn't very good.  We played dominos and card games

DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Quoting .Holly.: We played more video games and watched movies, ordered pizza..stuff like that. My son was never really into board games, so we didn't do that. I haven't played a board game in awhile, I want to play monopoly now. Lol

We always played monopoly too. I like that game. Jason loved that game, because it took us a long time to play and he loved it. Did you ever let your kids win on purpose, just so they could win? I tried that with my son. When he realized what I was doing, he would get upset.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN