Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Helpful or annoying

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM
  • 46 Replies

Here is a question that really bothers me.

I shared a post the other day and I had a grammaritcal error. A friend pointed out the error and posted it as a reply. 

Helpful or annoying?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd say it depends. It mostly comes off as nitpicky and annoying. However, if it's a mistake you commonly make that may have been the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" for them.

I feel like correcting people in a public forum is kind of rude. Their comment distracted from your original message. It can also derail conversation. It would be nicer to just flash you a quick message if they really, really felt that compelled to say something to you.

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on how you feel about it.  My oldest daughter will point out grammer errors to me because she is a linguist and teaches English.  If it is something I read in a post, I tend to ignore it.  If someone did that in one of my posts, I would make a note of the observation, edit the post to correct the error and move on.

rosebud727
by Rose on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I totally agree with this statement.

Quoting Maime13:

I'd say it depends. It mostly comes off as nitpicky and annoying. However, if it's a mistake you commonly make that may have been the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" for them.

I feel like correcting people in a public forum is kind of rude. Their comment distracted from your original message. It can also derail conversation. It would be nicer to just flash you a quick message if they really, really felt that compelled to say something to you.

rosebud727
by Rose on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I have an excess of teachers I work with, never do they point out errors on social media posts. I would be the person to send a PM instead of pointing out a flaw.

Quoting Why123:

It depends on how you feel about it.  My oldest daughter will point out grammer errors to me because she is a linguist and teaches English.  If it is something I read in a post, I tend to ignore it.  If someone did that in one of my posts, I would make a note of the observation, edit the post to correct the error and move on.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM

There are so many grammatical and spelling errors in social media, both intentionally and unintentionally, that it surely must make all the diehard language purists all twitchy in the face!!! 

I do see a lot of these errors as I am reading posts and texts. I do not correct them unless it is in reference to an actual text or document when it is important. As long as the idea is getting across in social media, I see no reason to point errors out and correct them. It is the nature of that beast!

I would look at your circumstance as that is just the type of person this person is, accept it and go on. You would also realize that it could happen again with this person and not let it bother you as much in the future. I wouldn't dwell on it.

I have had fun with spelling errors and such when they can have double meanings and put another spin on what someone "could' be saying! haha! This is all in fun!

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Annoying. I can see if someone wanted to "help" you so you can fix it, and would PM you to say, hey go edit that, you said x instead of y, if it is known there are "grammar crazies" around, but otherwise, I say get over it. It happens. You are typing fast, you are thinking of a million things, you might be multitasking ( As I am almost every single time I am on here ). Mistakes happen. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Because of my career, I see typos that others make lickety split. 

It depends on the person and the typo if I'm gonna call them out on it though. 

For work, I rely heavily upon Word's autocorrect feature that I set up - I don't have that luxury on most social sites and I make plenty of my own typos!

Khanfan
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

totally anoying to me

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I say it depends..how close is the friend and how did they phrase it? Some people are "grammar police" who feel they have to point out and correct every single little mistake someone makes and usually follow it with some kind of snarky comment. They are the ones I find annoying and rude so I ignore them.

If it is someone who has a decent reply and says something like "btw, it is know not no" or something like that, I don't see the big deal. It would be better IMO, to point it out privately though.

I gotta say, I love this group partialy for that reason. I know I make a lot of spelling errors despite how much I read, I cannot spell for shit. I also have ADHD and my brain is always 5 or 6 words further ahead then my fingers can type so I transpose, add, or leave out letters often and almost never think about hitting spell check. Nobody here has ever gotten rude about it, I  can't even remember if someone has ever pointed out my mistakes at all actually LOL

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting LadySaphira:

I say it depends..how close is the friend and how did they phrase it? Some people are "grammar police" who feel they have to point out and correct every single little mistake someone makes and usually follow it with some kind of snarky comment. They are the ones I find annoying and rude so I ignore them.

If it is someone who has a decent reply and says something like "btw, it is know not no" or something like that, I don't see the big deal. It would be better IMO, to point it out privately though.

I gotta say, I love this group partialy for that reason. I know I make a lot of spelling errors despite how much I read, I cannot spell for shit. I also have ADHD and my brain is always 5 or 6 words further ahead then my fingers can type so I transpose, add, or leave out letters often and almost never think about hitting spell check. Nobody here has ever gotten rude about it, I  can't even remember if someone has ever pointed out my mistakes at all actually LOL

*partially

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)