Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paying for customer behind you

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have seen a few posts on FB reciently that the person posting was in the drive through at Starbucks and the person in front of them paid for their order.  I think that is totally amazing and wondered if anyone here has done something like that or has had something like that done for them.

I have paid for the person behind me's meal before but have not had the same done to me.  If I did though I would pay it forward and pay for the persons behind me, even if it was more then mine.   I didnt do it at starbucks though, I was at Jack In The Box.  I also tried to pay for someones groceries that they couldnt afford but she wouldnt let me.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I can't afford to pay for the people in front anymore, since we moved into this house. I still do help people when they ask for it though. Whenever I'm out of the house, and someone asks me for money, I usually try to give tham a dollar. I used to give more, but I don't have more right now.

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I have never had it done & I really can't afford to pay for someone else. That being said, I have helped out others with dollars & change though many times. I am usually more of a helper with time then money. I always try to give dollars or buy a candy bar to kids & such if they are out trying for their cause if the cause is shown. But otherwise, I help with my time & effort more than monetary.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand that Dixie.  At the Moment I cant help with buying people stuff but I help in other ways.  Do what you can do and that dollar could be a cheese burger for a hungry person, or a ray of sunshine for someone who only sees grey clouds.  

Quoting DixieL:

I can't afford to pay for the people in front anymore, since we moved into this house. I still do help people when they ask for it though. Whenever I'm out of the house, and someone asks me for money, I usually try to give tham a dollar. I used to give more, but I don't have more right now.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM

thats how I am too.  

Quoting MichelleMc:

I have never had it done & I really can't afford to pay for someone else. That being said, I have helped out others with dollars & change though many times. I am usually more of a helper with time then money. I always try to give dollars or buy a candy bar to kids & such if they are out trying for their cause if the cause is shown. But otherwise, I help with my time & effort more than monetary.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Quoting Ambear72:

I understand that Dixie.  At the Moment I cant help with buying people stuff but I help in other ways.  Do what you can do and that dollar could be a cheese burger for a hungry person, or a ray of sunshine for someone who only sees grey clouds.  

Quoting DixieL:

I try in other ways too. I can buy somone a cheeseburger or a drink, or give a dollor, but Starbucks is too much money. I also think if they can afford to go too Starbucks, they don't need my help. It's not that I haven't been too, because I have. I would rather spend the money on people who couldn't afford something like that, and someone who needs food. I'm getting surgery on my back within a month or so, so I could do a lot more. I would love to help at a shelter, or a foodbank. I can't stand up long enough right now, but I'll be able to do more, after my back isn't hurting so bad. My husband, has to get me dinner, because even though cooking is my favorite thing to do, I can't stand up long enough to do it yet.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I say starbucks because thats what the FB posts said.  That was the main point of this but it seems to have taken a different path and thats ok too!  I cant afford Starbucks and I dont really like it much because I dont drink coffee, and the other stuff is to unhealthy.

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting Ambear72:

Quoting DixieL:

I try in other ways too. I can buy somone a cheeseburger or a drink, or give a dollor, but Starbucks is too much money. I also think if they can afford to go too Starbucks, they don't need my help. It's not that I haven't been too, because I have. I would rather spend the money on people who couldn't afford something like that, and someone who needs food. I'm getting surgery on my back within a month or so, so I could do a lot more. I would love to help at a shelter, or a foodbank. I can't stand up long enough right now, but I'll be able to do more, after my back isn't hurting so bad. My husband, has to get me dinner, because even though cooking is my favorite thing to do, I can't stand up long enough to do it yet.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

it's never happened to me, nor have I offered to pay for the person behind me.  If I had oodles of money, I'd seriously think about it though!

amylulu1
by Amy on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a friend that does that all of the time. Today at work I had an elderly lady come through my line; she had written a $100 check made out to "cash" but had forgotten to get the bank yesterday. Unfortunately, it's against our store policy to cash it. I felt really bad for her, so I paid for her groceries. The total was only $15, but she was so grateful and it gave me a warm feeling, too! She came back an hour later and gave me a 20 and refused to let me give her change. She was really sweet. These customers make up for all the people that are jerks or will argue over 10 cents!
caro100
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I have paid it forward several times, usually I just tell the people to pay it forward when they have the chance.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Oh what a great thing you both did! How awesome of you both!

Quoting amylulu1: I have a friend that does that all of the time. Today at work I had an elderly lady come through my line; she had written a $100 check made out to "cash" but had forgotten to get the bank yesterday. Unfortunately, it's against our store policy to cash it. I felt really bad for her, so I paid for her groceries. The total was only $15, but she was so grateful and it gave me a warm feeling, too! She came back an hour later and gave me a 20 and refused to let me give her change. She was really sweet. These customers make up for all the people that are jerks or will argue over 10 cents!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)