Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What were your kids sleeping habits?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 10 yr old said he was going to sleep in the living room with dad last night (they were having a camp out.)   I got up at 8:30 and he was STILL awake!!  I made him go straight to bed.  Did/do your kids like to stay up all night?  

My 18 yr old would stay up till about 2-3 and still wake up by 10.  My oldest twin daughter goes to sleep at about 9:30-10 and wakes up at 7:30ish everyday.  My youngest goes to sleep about 11 and wakes up about 9.  

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Sleep overs are ill names, IMO. Rarely can one sleep!

My kids got up early as small ones, then slept late, when possible, as older ones.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I was the "mean mom" I didn't allow staying up all night for sure or real late. I just think it screws with your body. Even with sleep overs, it was just a little later than normal, but it was still going to bed. I also see no need for sleeping in real late, so that never happened either. 

Usually there was the average times for bed & wake up. 9 am was the latest sleeping in summers & weekends ( sleep overs ) but usually it was still the norm of 7a-8a.

by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM

My kids don't stay up all night. This is actually the first summer that I haven't made them be in bed by 9:30pm. My kids are 17,15,13.99 and 12.

My oldest will stay up till midnight or 1am in his room some nights but some nights he's asleep by 11pm. The first couple of weeks after graduation he slept late-late but now if he doesn't have to be up for some reason, he'll sleep till about 9am. Some mornings he gets up to leave with me at 8am and go run.

The others are all in bed about 10 or 10:30pm. My middle kids are my early risers. They are up between 7 and 8am no matter what, generally.

My DD is my sleeper. She sleeps in till 10am most days.

Edited to add that during school, they all get up at 6:30am. The earliest bedtime is 9:30pm.

by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM

During school months my daughter was in bed by 8 during the week and by nine on the weekends. She had to be up by 6 to get ready for school and out the door to catch the bus around 7:30.   Even as a teenager still in school I tried to stick to these rules becaue it took her forever to stay in bed and get up and get ready in the morning.

by Ronna on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:11 AM

when Johnny was in grade school and middle school, he'd have a couple of friends over for a sleep over on New year's eve.  I always had pizza and snacks and soda for them, and they stayed up all night, then would fall asleep when the sun came up and sleep until about noon.  I didn't mind them doing that and they were always nice and quiet and didn't disturb my sleep. 

I don't recall having a set bedtime for either of my kids although I am sure I did, but I do remember some of the hassels of making them go to bed!

I recall a poem I learned as a child that goes something like this:

my parents are weird.  They make me go to bed when I'm wide awake, and wake me up when I'm sleepy.   

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM

With the younger girls it was bed by 7:30p.m., because they shared a room and never fell asleep till 9:00p.m., I always got them up at 7:00a.m. This was year round schedule...I was a mean mommy.

When they were teens they were in their room by 9:00 p.m., lights out at 10:30p.m., up at 6:30a.m.

Now with just Nyssa home, she is 25 and is in her room at 11:00 and asleep by 1:00 a.m., sometimes 2:00a.m. and up by 7:30a.m. or earlier. She does like to sleep though and would sleep till 10:00 a.m. if I let her...I am mean and don't let her. 

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Athena is a shocker!  If she had a free choice, she would stay up until 3 or 4 am every day and not rise until midday.  She has ALWAYS been a poor sleeper, even as a baby she didn't like to sleep at night and now at age 19 finds it really difficult to get to sleep much before 2 am no matter how early she has to get up, or got up the morning before.  She learned soon (because I didn't allow school days off for being 'too tired') to function on much less sleep than most kids.  

When Ishtar was younger she was a great sleeper - out like a light at 8.30 pm and get up around 7 am.  By the time she hit her mid-teens though she was a late-night girl as often as she could get away with.  Right now she rarely gets to sleep before midnight which is a pain as she has to get up at 6 am 3 days a week to get to an 8 am lecture.  Like her sister, she learned to function on not much sleep.

Both of them have pulled all-nighters before, usually because the book they were reading was too good to put down!  Most of the time they don't let themselves get that carried away unless it's summer and they are on University break.  They have also pulled all-nighters because of class work that wasn't finished although they are pretty good about getting it done ahead of schedule where possible.  Athena has found, though, that on group-projects it's not uncommon to have someone who just doesn't do what they are supposed to, or gets it to her late on the day before submission is due (she usually volunteers to write up the project because she trusts HER English skills and not always someone else's).  Then she will work right through the night to get it ready to hand in on time.  Fortunately, with group assignments they are also given a 'peer assessment' in which each member of the group evaluates how much effort each other member made - that way the assigned marker can give each person a unique score based on how much effort they put in AND the overall assignment score.  So she gets to point out where someone didn't pull their weight.

I can't blame either of them for staying up late though - their Dad and I both have a body clock that doesn't turn off late at night and can easily find ourselves still awake in the Wee Small Hours of the morning!  Like the girls, it doesn't matter how early we had to get up the day before or the next morning, we just don't wind down to sleep easily.

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM

My daughter is 16 so she goes to bed when she wants if she doesn't get enough that's her fault. But during school it's around 10.

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM

When Cassidy was a child, she slept like the proverbial log, and is still a pretty good sleeper as long as she isn't stressed or worrying about anything big. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)